ebay pulled the plug on my 79 LPR and 04 LS320

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi!

Today ebay deleted both of a.m. listings. One is for a mint 79 Les Paul Reborn LS50 BB, the 2nd for an 04 LS320 in CSB. I posted detailled pics of both in classifieds.

My initial take (and ebay's official answer by email) was that I also listed both at Guitars>Gibsons.

I would agree with their reasoning if there would be a >Tokai part. So far so good.

But here is the disturbing part: I called ebay.de and spent quite some time with them on the phone (and got forwarded a lot). Eventually I learned that a german ebay user (not Gibson) who is also selling Tokais complained that I listed under "Guitar>Gibson".

I don't know how I should rate this, because it would be b?)/&%t out anyway.

There are not too many Tokais out there, so what's the point in competing by "legal" means? There is a market.

Did any one of you ever had a similar experience?

Frankly and openly: I've been mad about this a few hours ago. I am selling 10-12 Tokais to pay for 3 programmers who are building an application that will allow musicians to make a living wihout record-labels.
Good programmers in Actionscript/Flex, C# and SQL don't come cheap nowadays.

I feel really, really sad.

Best, Rupert

Is there a link between this post and your post in the Goldstar ST-100 thread Tokai here in "Sightings & eBay Alerts"?

Honi soit qui mal y pense ... :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Roger

But Rupert ... sorry ... IMO - it is rather daft to list under 'Gibson' after all the legal affairs - you should have known better ... 8) 8)

Maybe that's true, but it doesn't justify the actions of the anonymous person who decided to complain to eBay. But I'm sure than nobody who is a member of this forum would stoop so low as to behave like that.

Would they? :eek:

Mike

AS we say in the UK. >>> Someone has got a BEE in their bonnet <<<< (and they are out to sting) :evil:

Just to chip in with a bit more info on this sort of thing.

We have an EBay account manager due to the amount of business that we do and we get a few interesting tid bits now and then....

Firstly, EBay themselves do not police their listings. Now, if you ever have a listing pulled for ANY reason it is due to a third party complaining about your listing. EBay tend to pull these very quickly and credit your fees back....worry about the fall out later.

We had about 20 listings pulled a few weeks ago as we had a web address visible in our listing (some debate on this as it was not a physical link), ALSO we had a phone number advertised which is against the rules unless it is "customer support" or "for more information on this listing". Anything perceived as a direct call to action/direct sale is a no no.

NOW - somebody has obviously decided to sit and pick on us for half an hour or so, go through a load of our listings and report them. We obviously try and play with a straight bat on these things and have of course corrected it since. Now, as annoying as this might be for us - at the end of the day you just have to learn from the mistakes and make the listings better to sell the products.

If people want to sit around and get people's listings cancelled then ....well, it reflects more on them than us.

The other thing to watch out for is Vero members. If you get enrolled as a vero member the intellectual property rights of a brand/product can be policed directly by that person.

Rickenbacker Vero are notorious for keeping an eye out for Tokai copies. Gibson have a vero policy on EBay too....so listing under Gibson is a bad idea as they'll just get you pulled.

You just gotta play it straight with EBay and listings. Make the listing perfect in every way so that people just looking for a cock up have to go report someone else.....or better still spend some of their spare time with their families, kids, girlfriends.....whatever.

Not sure if this was useful.....you know, a few beers + Forum = crap post by richie....

oh well.....off to the land of "nod" before going back to the mad world of guitar retail tomorrow!!! :eek:

guitarslinger said:
Not sure if this was useful.....you know, a few beers + Forum = crap post by richie....

oh well.....off to the land of "nod" before going back to the mad world of guitar retail tomorrow!!! :eek:

Very useful! I have always liked this forum for being thoughtful and considerate in the way it conducts it's affairs. I think you're right to say this and, very importantly, right in the way you say it.

yeah, learned my lesson.
Let's see if some more people complain.

I asked ebay to establish "Tokai", but apparently they are not very keen to do that.

Cheers. Rupert

tudor said:
...in Germany we have a word called ... "ordinary Joe's revenge" ... ???? :roll:

Roger

:lol: hauahuhau

Well, it might be an "ordinary average guy" who complained about the Gibbo name in the title.
8)
It's obvious people have nothing to do than sitting on a pc spottin' evilbay just to give crap here and there.

rgrafend said:
Hi!

Today ebay deleted both of a.m. listings. One is for a mint 79 Les Paul Reborn LS50 BB, the 2nd for an 04 LS320 in CSB. I posted detailled pics of both in classifieds.

My initial take (and ebay's official answer by email) was that I also listed both at Guitars>Gibsons.

I would agree with their reasoning if there would be a >Tokai part. So far so good.

But here is the disturbing part: I called ebay.de and spent quite some time with them on the phone (and got forwarded a lot). Eventually I learned that a german ebay user (not Gibson) who is also selling Tokais complained that I listed under "Guitar>Gibson".

I don't know how I should rate this, because it would be b?)/&%t out anyway.

There are not too many Tokais out there, so what's the point in competing by "legal" means? There is a market.

Did any one of you ever had a similar experience?

Frankly and openly: I've been mad about this a few hours ago. I am selling 10-12 Tokais to pay for 3 programmers who are building an application that will allow musicians to make a living wihout record-labels.
Good programmers in Actionscript/Flex, C# and SQL don't come cheap nowadays.

I feel really, really sad.

Best, Rupert
There is aTokai section on U.K. ebay Rupert so what the hell is the matter German/Austrian ebay that they won`t give you one?Are they being warned off by Gibson?

Hi! Yes, I offered both at the forum before. I believe most people nowadays prefer to deal through ebay as they might bet a better deal.

Anyway, apparently now it's OK. At least my listings are still up.

Thanks to togps I also learned that the LC65 is basswood, which I really did not know. Never had an LC before.

Cheers. Rupert

rgrafend said:
Hi! Yes, I offered both at the forum before. I believe most people nowadays prefer to deal through ebay as they might bet a better deal.

True, but I don't think it's only that. After my recent experience buying an ST60 believing that it was an ST80, I imagine many people would prefer the (limited) protection offered by eBay. If I had bought via eBay, the seller wouldn't have got away with it.

Personally, I trust Rupert and would buy from him directly. If I had any money left. But I don't. I spent it on a very expensive ST60.... :cry:

Mike

You mean you missed the thread? :eek: You must be the only one who did!! It's here:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=9379

There's only 9 pages of discussion about it........

Mike

Yeah, well......

I have no intention of starting the debate again, it's mine now, for better or worse. I guess I should start a new thread on it, and let people know what it's like? It's been sadly neglected (which surprises me knowing where it came from), but I've nearly got it sorted now. It was virtually unplayable when I received it earlier this week!

Mike

the thing is I have an identical guitar ..the body is nitro and it has E-series PU..but the neck is a C-shape ..not a V shape, but i was sure i had read that some rosewood 80's had a C shape..anyway...I went and checked the neck very carefully with other 60 and 80 models...and I am now pretty sure its a 60 neck so I have amended the description...but i was convinced it was an 80 before I read the thread..

it shows how easy it is to make a mistake....

Back