Springy ST60

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That could be just because of the rosewood board, of course. Do you have any other Strats to compare the Springys with?

I'm surprised your ST60 has U pickups - mine has Es. I thought Es were standard on ST60s and above?

marcusnieman said:
Oh there's a BIG difference in the sound of my ST80 (rosewood board, E stamped p'ups) and my ST60 (maple board, U stamped p'ups). The 60 is brighter and a little thinner in tone. The 80 is full, beefy and bell like.

Is there any difference in body construction?

MIJvintage said:
marcusnieman said:
Oh there's a BIG difference in the sound of my ST80 (rosewood board, E stamped p'ups) and my ST60 (maple board, U stamped p'ups). The 60 is brighter and a little thinner in tone. The 80 is full, beefy and bell like.

Is there any difference in body construction?

Yeah, my 60 is clearly a 2 piece body while my 80 looks like a 1 piece. Necks are a bit different. My 80 is a V profile and my 60 is a bit flatter.

I had a thread awhile back asking for help "identifying my Springys". If you do a search, I have lots of photos of both - including the p'ups and pots, etc.

Both my 60 & 80 had 2-piece bodies and E-series pickups, the maple necked 60 was a bit brighter, but really not a lot in it.

marcusnieman said:
I had a thread awhile back asking for help "identifying my Springys". If you do a search, I have lots of photos of both - including the p'ups and pots, etc.

Already done ... some postings above ... :wink: :wink: :wink:
Mike, take a look ...

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=8004&highlight=st80

Roger

tudor said:
marcusnieman said:

Already done ... some postings above ... :wink: :wink: :wink:
Mike, take a look ...

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=8004&highlight=st80

Roger

Ooops :oops: Thanks Roger.

Hi Mike!

Very interesting topic and highly controversial. The pic of the body of your ST60 looks very close to an ST80 ash/nitro I own. I am also fairly sure by now that Tokai actually built some ST80 with non-V-necks in the early 80s and rosewood fretboards.

Let's face it: Tokai built (and still builds) some really good guitars. But as a company they have to learn a lot.

Cheers! Rup

IMG_0292.jpg

rgrafend said:
Hi Mike!

Very interesting topic and highly controversial. The pic of the body of your ST60 looks very close to an ST80 ash/nitro I own. I am also fairly sure by now that Tokai actually built some ST80 with non-V-necks in the early 80s and rosewood fretboards.

Let's face it: Tokai built (and still builds) some really good guitars. But as a company they have to learn a lot.

Cheers! Rup

my early 80s Springy does not have as hard a V shape neck as some of my `54 Japanese Fenders do.
I`m not quite sure what you mean by your last comment of having a lot to learn...and who doesn`t... but many of the 80s MIJs were built for the Japanese market and not meant to be precise replicas of American models...some were, but not all and not all the time... some weren`t, they were designed for Japanese hands since thats who they were targeting, perhaps they never dreamed that foreigners from all over the world would be paying such high prices for them all these years later, but then I`m sure Leo never imagined that either. Japanese companies did and still do special runs for chain shops over here, not to mention one offs or custom orders, so just when experts think they know and have seen it all, along comes something different. I can`t say Tokai only made certain guitars with certain shaped necks because I haven`t seen all old Tokais yet. I try to keep an open mind on things like this, but thats just me.

JohnA said:
Here'e a close-up and you could be correct, looking at the guitar in natural light there is no sign of the red, but on camera you can see it???

John ... and Marcus as well ...

I'm so curious to know for sure ... are the colors of your ST80s a red faded 3tone or are they 2tone actually ???
The reason to know is ... if Mike is right that the 2tone always having a maple board I was hunting a misconception all the time ...
But - I am nearly sure that I've seen some RW fretboards on a 2tone ST80 ... this one e.g. ...
ST80-1.jpg

... or this one ...
Tr1.jpg

Tr5.jpg

Tr2jpg.jpg

... but there's a narrow red colored stripe on all bodies I guess ... :(

... not on my Fender ...
Strat7.jpg

Strat6.jpg

Roger :-? :-?

Roger,
it must be clearly marked inside the body.
ys or yso for three-tone and gs for two-tone sunburst.Gottfried has one in his listings with gsr=golden sunburst rosewood.

Btw on Marks site is also one,who is clearly a 2-tone rosewood.

Volker

sneakyjapan said:
perhaps they never dreamed that foreigners from all over the world would be paying such high prices for them all these years later, but then I`m sure Leo never imagined that either

Very true! Right up to his death, Leo was convinced that his new guitars were better than the old ones that everybody loved so much. Unfortunately, his hearing was going, and his later pickups had an exaggerated treble that sounded good to his ears, but not to so many other people's!

And as sneaky said, most Tokais were budget alternatives to Fenders. :eek:

Roger,

I think the pattern is fairly simple. A pre 1980 rosewood board Springy will have all the features of a maple board Strat, but with a rosewood board on the neck. It will have - 2 tone SB, single ply scratchplate (8 screw holes), rear mounted truss rod (with skunk stripe on the back of the neck and plug in headstock).

After 1980, they will look more like mine - 3 tone SB, 3 ply scratchplate (11 hole), top mounted truss rod with no skunk stripe or plug. In other words, Springys became more "authentic" after 1980. Marcus's seems to fit this rule, if I can call it a rule.

Rupert is clearly right, there are many exceptions to any rule, especially with Tokai, but that's how it seems to work from what I have seen (and believe me I have been looking very carefully since I joined the forum!). So, if you want a RW board Springy with 2 tone SB (which I wouldn't be keen on as it looks wrong to me), you want a 78 or 79 model. But you will have to put up with the other "50s" features I listed above.

I'm sure somebody will now come along and shoot my theory down in flames!

Roger,

One more feature of the guitars you show us at the top of the page - they have the round string tree, which was something Fender dropped around 55 or 56 in favour of the more common string tree that mine has. So, if a RW board Springy has a round string tree, I would guess that it's likely that it will have a 2 tone SB.

as far as neck shapes, my 1979 St 80 GS has a "soft V" maple neck and the 1980 ST100 has a standard "V" maple neck..

stratman323 said:
Roger,
I think the pattern is fairly simple. A pre 1980 rosewood board Springy will have all the features of a maple board Strat, but with a rosewood board on the neck. It will have - 2 tone SB, single ply scratchplate (8 screw holes), rear mounted truss rod (with skunk stripe on the back of the neck and plug in headstock).

After 1980, they will look more like mine - 3 tone SB, 3 ply scratchplate (11 hole), top mounted truss rod with no skunk stripe or plug. In other words, Springys became more "authentic" after 1980.

Exactly, and that is just one reason why I prefer the lowly Goldstar Sound models, over the Springy Sound models.
I believe that Tokai got it (more) right with the early Goldstars.
Case in point; I have a Goldstar Sound with a 2 pc. center seam/matched body, steel block trem, and it doesn't have all of those 50s type features that look totally WRONG on a veneer board Strat.
Of course my Goldstar doesn't have a nitro finish but then again, it only put me back 5 bills 8) and not 10 to 20 bills, or more.
I would say that 5 bills is about as good as it gets for a 2 pc. center seam/matched body, beveled & staggered poles pups, steel block, and period correct features.
I could spend many times more for a comparable USA Custom Shop model, and the Goldstar is likely a better guitar :)

I wish it was as simple as that! I have 2 84 Goldstars, but they're just not as good as the Springy. I can only really put that down to the thicker poly finish. Shame!

Mind you, the Goldies cost me less than a third of what the Springy cost.... :eek:

stratman323 said:
I wish it was as simple as that! I have 2 84 Goldstars, but they're just not as good as the Springy. I can only really put that down to the thicker poly finish. Shame!

Mind you, the Goldies cost me less than a third of what the Springy cost.... :eek:

all Springys, and all Goldys are not created equal however, and yes, the cost is a consideration.
I am not putting down the Springy models, yet I am only stating that the right example Goldy is going to be a much more cost effective alternative.
Do either of your two Goldys have 2 piece/matched bodies?
Here is a shot of the matched body on my Goldstar.
Goldstarcenterseamroute.jpg

The finish on this one is super thin; one of the thinest clear coats on any Tokai I have seen.

I can't tell, one is metallic green (gorgeous colour, but it has a big old high gloss maple neck - I really ought to sell it), and the other is black. I'm not really keen on SB anyway, most of my Strats are solid colours, so I don't know (or care) how many parts go to make up the body. I remain to be convinced that it makes any real difference - Fender rarely made 1 piece Strat bodies, especially alder bodies.

Back