Burny 'Super Grade' - solid tops

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
got it . i sent you a replay , but it looks like its stuck in my outbox? its been crazy! i am adding a addition to my house . the ls60 burny is a excellent guitar , i do want to sell it to make up for the money i spent on the burny flg. if you are really interested you can pick it up in person. i am 30 miles west of chicago. you can give me a call AFTER the weekend. monday or tuesday 9-5 , we can talk , and i can give you much more details over the phone.

thanks ben

i will get some photos to you tomorrow, please send me another P.M. with your email.

Btmish;
I was keeping a close eye on that burny from vaporman too. Looked real nice but I had a hard time believing his info that it was nitro, brazillian fret board, flg100 (not sure there is an flg100) etc...I did send some questions and he was quite defensive, though provided more information when I responded calmly to him. All I can say is that I thought it looked like a 1983 RLG50 with a particularly nice top (from Nils paper). If It wasn't for the fact of having to pay shipping and customs from Hawaii to the UK I might of taken a punt on it!
Would be interested if you could assertain if it is nitro or not. An experienced person should be able to tell by the look and feel of it - so if you've got any guitar tech mates....

Yea, when I get back from vacation I will have to check a little deeper on the poly/nitro thing. I would guess poly though.

I am not sure if it is an RLG-50 or an FLG of some ilk. It does have some different characteristics than MOST of the RLG-50's I have seen. For instance, the one-piece back, and the medium-long Tenon that extends past the neck. Also, it has exactly the same MXCRMO stamped tuners that Villager's FLG-150 has. I have not seen the backs of a whole lot of RLG-50's headstocks, but the few I have seen seem to have blank tuners, i.e., no stamp. Some early Burny's, I think, have fernades stamped tuners. The only other place I have seen these MXCRMO tuners are on a few late seventy and early eight Tokais.

...But, on the other hand, it does not have the braided wires (has black), the serial stamped headstock (neither does Villagers for all I can tell), the double-ring tuners (again, niether does Villagers), nor the oil caps; all of which the Burny paper claims the FLG's to have. It also, like Villager's FLG, has the middle script (like some early eighty RLG's), and not the higher script reminisent of the FLGs according to the Burny paper.

So, with that said, as of now, with the information I can find, it is EITHER an early, and somewhat rarer (via the 1-piece back) RLG-50, or some sort of early 80's transistion FLG(/RLG?) model very similar, though probably not as high grade, to Villagers FLG-150 birdseye.

I know one thing though, this is the absolute best sounding Les Paul I have ever played. It truly blows away everything else. Two guitar playing friends of mine, plus myself, have played both this guitar, my other Burny, and a mid 70's Gibbson, a mid-80's studio, and a 98 Standard, and we all agree none of them can touch this one. My other Burny, although a great guitar, and probably the second favorite of the ones mentioned, is not even close.

Pray for Peace,
Brock

Edit: Oh, I just weighed it, 8 pounds 8 ounces. Also weighted my other burny, a shade under 10 pounds. Both these sellers claimed weights of between 8 and 8.5 pounds. I think these ebay sellers need some new scales.

and while I was at it, Bacchus SRV, 8.7 I think, and the 62ri, 8.4 (does that sound right MIJ?), PGM-moon mahog strat and my 76 Strat, a massive 10 pounds.; I hope the fish I catch up north can match the weight of these beasts!

I've had several Burny RLGs with tuners stamped DELUXE

Never seen MXCRMO tuners; could be Greek, lol...........

weights on the BST-SRV & Music Inn Tom BST-62 relic, were in the 7.5 to 7.8 lb. range; weighed on a digital scale

MIJvintage said:
I've had several Burny RLGs with tuners stamped DELUXE

Never seen MXCRMO tuners; could be Greek, lol...........

weights on the BST-SRV & Music Inn Tom BST-62 relic, were in the 7.5 to 7.8 lb. range; weighed on a digital scale

Hmm. My brand new set of fish scales must be off. Seems all the guitars are coming out about 8-12 oz more than I had thought. Oh well, I guess my fish will seem that much bigger (I won't tell my friends they are off, and I will only weigh my own catches w/them). Haha.

I see what you mean about the solid top Burnys MIJ, they are smoking guitars!

IDIOTME or MELOIOI

If looking at the rear of the head stock, holding the top of the head stock to the right (90 degrees off vertical from the correct reading position) the stamping looks like MXC?MO

That's pretty close to MXCRMO

I bet they're worth at least three times the DELUXE stamped tuners :D

MIJvintage said:
If looking at the rear of the head stock, holding the top of the head stock to the right (90 degrees off vertical from the correct reading position) the stamping looks like MXC?MO

That's pretty close to MXCRMO

I bet they're worth at least three times the DELUXE stamped tuners :D

Lol, I am an idiot, and apparently dyslexic. Too much drugs as a kid maybe. Or just drink too much.

At the risk of keeping this thread at the top and thus proving my idiocy, I do think one of the guitars you have pictured is pre-RLG. The super figured cherry burst one. That is, if you go by burny's paper. I think the earlier ones have the gold knobs and the white, not cream, pick up selector switch. I'm guessing that is an FLG-150. Looks a hell of a lot more like it that mine anyway.

Burnys with a laquer finish are ver rare and they were a few years made only,being the highest a 240 model similar as Tokai LS-200 in specs.....

btmish said:
At the risk of keeping this thread at the top and thus proving my idiocy, I do think one of the guitars you have pictured is pre-RLG. The super figured cherry burst one. That is, if you go by burny's paper. I think the earlier ones have the gold knobs and the white, not cream, pick up selector switch. I'm guessing that is an FLG-150. Looks a hell of a lot more like it that mine anyway.

Here's another shot of that one, outdoors, in the sun; the birdeye in this shot does not show up at all, although the top half is covered in birdeye. The plain grain however, really shows strong in this shot :)
The maple on this top was exceptionally 3D, very phantom maple 8)
BurnyFigBurst1.jpg

From what I've read others talk about specs, on Burnys, I really doubt this one to be anything other than a RLG-50; the body back was multi piece, not a single piece.

You can also see the original, dark plastic, switch tip in this shot.
The stop tail & studs, and the knobs were not original.
Knob pointers were also removed.

I only sold this example becuase it was waaaaaaaay above my weight preference; it was over 10 lbs.
My weight range for a lester is 8.5 to 9.0 aka 8 lb. 8 oz. to 9 lb. 0 oz.
If it aint in that range, then I anit gonna keep it, unless it's an exceptional exception 8)
All of my best Les Pauls (carved top) have been in the 8.5 to 9.0 lb. range, bar none
All of my best Lesters were not that attractive as far as the top wood, and that's why I am attracted to plain tops

Maybe he doesn't want to make such a transparent attempt to bump the perceived value of a guitar he will later sell.

Not a mod ........ but.

Nani, I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours. OK? Look, nobody cares if you've got a gripe with MIJvintage. This is baiting on your part.

Frankly, I enjoy learning about all of these various guitars.

Thanks, and welcome again.

Nani said:
Maybe he doesn't want to make such a transparent attempt to bump the perceived value of a guitar he will later sell.

Ha, when I put a picture up, the value probably goes down. It's usually then decided it's Poly, 25 piece back, 15 years newer that what I bought it as, etc.

What did you do to this guy MIJ? I wonder who this REALLY is? It doesn't make much sense to start an account and spend most of your responses in this matter. I would rather guess he started an account for the SOLE purpose of this sort of response. Maybe a previous buyer that is unhappy? I doubt that, for whatever you think of MIJ's attitude or whatever, it seems to me he is an honest seller and sells quality instruments. So, a previous seller you bought from and were not happy with? That seems more likely. Either that or a current member that was offended by something you said and has decided to attack you via a hidden identity. Anyway you look at it, it's a little wierd.

I will try to get some pictures of soon. I promise.

With regard to who Nani might be, he gives his location as Old Trafford, which suggests that he probably supports Manchester United. Which means he probably doesn't live in Manchester.... :lol:

I don't imagine that helps much though.

Nani, I have nothing against you mate. But your behavior, even you have to admit, is pretty suspect. Just be real man, tell us what is the REAL reason you are spending your time with these posts. Why has MIJ upset you so?

Latest posts

Back