Burny 'Super Grade' - solid tops

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you can get straight Acetone that will tell the tale-literally melts the nitrocellulose

Bacchus catalogue states BST-SRV (also BST-62, BST-57, BST-54, BCT-67, BTL-54) as FINISH: TOP LACQUER

of course it could be the catalyzed stuff, like villager is referring to

Hey MIJ, if you ever have the time, I would love to see some pics of the electronics of some of those RLG-50's.

I guess I never realized there was difference between nitro and lacquer. Do they add something to nitro to make it lacquer? Or is it more they add a layer of nitro on top of whatever (poly?)?

Lol, the more I learn, it seems, the less I know. Maybe someday I will reach that ideal of knowing I know nothing.

I probably mispoke earlier when I said you claimed the SRV to be nitro, probably more the case you said it was lacquer.

Oh, here is an interesting aside. I don't know if this will help date my new burny, but if you go to Villager's site. My new burny guitar looks VERY similar to the 81/2 FLG150 1 piece body, nitro. Here are the similarities I have found.

Same color burny inlay in headstock (more gold hue than most)
Same height scipt
one piece body
same color back
birdeye maple on top (although not nearly as drastic, and only on one side)
one ring tuners with a stamp that says "mxcrmo"
No back serial stamp

So maybe it is a FLG, although I guess some RLG 50's may also have these characteristics. I really don't know, cause you have them all MIJ.

Boy Villager, would I like to see the insides of that beast.

Can you give any hints on how you date that one? Because according to the burny paper, that era FLG's all have stamped serials on the back, double ring klusons with fernades stamped on them, gold knobs, and cream switch. All of which your (nor my, supposedly) FLG doesn't have.

Yes, my anal search for the origin of this new burny continues. ****, I lose a lot of sleep comparing and contrasting these things. Some day, I will have to get back to work....or at least sleep.

b

'lacquer' as it refers to guitar finishes, usually infers nitrocellulose lacquer. That's just my opinion.........

check a few spots of the web.........

http://www.12fret.com/fret/fv5n8.htm
"Recent research has taken lacquers into the realm of catylized and ultra-violet cured coatings"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lacquer
"In America today the word lacquer refers to nitrocellulose, and little else"

In one of my earlier post, I made reference to, "and then it wouldn't be a true nitro finish.............just possibly, a wanna be nitro"
What I was trying to state was that the finish may be nitro BUT if it utilizes a catylizing agent, then it is not what one would usually consider, a traditional nitro finish, for example like on a 1957 Stratocaster. Now, that's REAL nitro lacquer, without any catylizing BS.

This is just a starting place.....................

heres a most informative thread on nitro/poly

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/archive/index.php/t-186115.html

and a very interesting quote from john suhr..

Suhr11-09-2006, 09:16 AM

Also Many old Fenders were not nitro, just a nitro topcoat, they used fullerplast to seal and Acrylic lacquer colors. Leo just choose the softest easiest to buff and repair topcoat.

When you speak about POLY; so be aware, that could be Polyester or Polyurethan.
And these terms are different pairs of shoes!!

Villager, care to answer my earlier post about how you are dating the FLG150 on your site?

Because the one I got from vaporman is supposedly an FLG100 from the same era.

It has many aspects similar to yours, but they don't jive with much of the info from Nils linked from your site.

Thanks for the nito/poly thread link

Nice link villager, on the poly/nitro thread

I'm always gonna lean toward a very thin poly finish, as a preference

the inherit resonance & sound is all in the wood, IMO........................

Poliuretane finish are most regarded than Polyester finish.Japanese guitars are ususally polyuretane with a thin finish.Tokai guitar bodies are not totally sealed by "laquer"(polyuretane) in order to let dry the wood,this has benn discussed here some time ago.
I?m leaning towards "laquer" means a mix uretane plus nitro coats....Not against polyuretaene,Hamer uses "urethane" for the finish and are really great guitars....
I still prefer ALL nitrocelulouse finish but plyuretane preserves better the finish....

togps said:
When you speak about POLY; so be aware, that could be Polyester or Polyurethan.
And these terms are different pairs of shoes!!

This is a very interesting thread. Could anyone explain the difference between polyester, polyurethane, polyunsaturates, etc. etc?

btmish said:
Maybe someday I will reach that ideal of knowing I know nothing

Reminds me of George Rumsfelds speech about "There are known unknowns, and there are unknown unknowns......"

stratman323 said:
This is a very interesting thread. Could anyone explain the difference between polyester, polyurethane, polyunsaturates, etc. etc?

.............or even polysilicon; the single crystal structure grown via the Czochralski process, and used for silicon wafers, or the Amorphous silicon (polysilicon) grown on silicon wafers, utilized for conductive layers, primarily the 'gate' layer of a circuit............. :eek: :roll: :lol:

.....but anyway you slice it (pun intended) you wouldn't have those neat little foot peddle gadgits for your geetars, without poly, LOL..............

Here is a 1-piece back, solid top burny! Missing front pick up though. Otherwise I'd probably buy it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1983-BURNY-RLG50-LP-tokai-1-PC-BACK-8-lbs_W0QQitemZ150143385635QQihZ005QQcategoryZ33040QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

hi- guys, thats my guitar on ebay, and YES she is a 1 PIECE BACK! she's a nice playing and sounding guitar, but it does have a lot of dings and nicks on the body, and the head, ( the neck is clean) a player's guitar. I just got a 1980 burny flg150, and thats the only reason i am selling the rlg50.

benrod said:
hi- guys, thats my guitar on ebay, and YES she is a 1 PIECE BACK! she's a nice playing and sounding guitar, but it does have a lot of dings and nicks on the body, and the head, ( the neck is clean) a player's guitar. I just got a 1980 burny flg150, and thats the only reason i am selling the rlg50.

Nice. Where did you get the FLG? I would like to see some pictures of that, including the wiring and back of pups, also the headstock. If that is at all possible, it would really help me out with mine.

sure, i will take some photos this weekend but, the pickups are not original .

benrod said:
sure, i will take some photos this weekend but, the pickups are not original .

Ok thanks. Get the pick-up cavity if you could, plus the front and back of headstock. And the wiring.

Latest posts

Back