Burny Veneer/Laminate Tops .............

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MIJvintage

Reaction score
Owned a few in the past but I don't own any veneer/laminate tops of any brand, any longer

Below are a few Burnys I've owned in the past; will try & post more pics, cheers ..............

EDIT: I checked my photo archives & can't locate any more RLG veneer tops, although I recall having at least two that are not pictured here :cry:

cherry sunburst, 1 piece back; 8 lb. - 0 oz.
BurnyFlame6.jpg

lemon drop, 2 piece back; 9 lb. - 8 oz.
RLG-90Amber.jpg

cherry sunburst, 3 piece back; 9 lb. - 4 oz. (pictured on the right)
RLG-80RLG-90-2.jpg

84'-85' rlg90- VH1's, oil capacitors. 2piece back, 10 lbs but, one of the best sounding ones.
P1010158.jpg
P1010160.jpg
P1010115.jpg

Here's a pic of one I just picked up last week. It's the MIJ Slash model from the late 90's. I love the flame venner on this one; it's flat sawn maple I believe which I totally prefer, lots of personality, very understated. What I like about it is from one angle I see the grain, from another I see flame and from another I can see both - not bad for a veneer. Actually the veneer is very thick, not like those old LS120's :wink: I've owned a few.

SDC10318.jpg

Pegcityrocker said:
Here's a pic of one I just picked up last week. It's the MIJ Slash model from the late 90's. I love the flame venner on this one; it's flat sawn maple I believe which I totally prefer, lots of personality, very understated. What I like about it is from one angle I see the grain, from another I see flame and from another I can see both - not bad for a veneer. Actually the veneer is very thick, not like those old LS120's :wink: I've owned a few.

One of the best looking veneer topped Lesters I've ever seen 8)
With the flat/plain sawn veneer you see more features in the annular ring grain.

Very nice :wink:

Thanks MIJ,

The other interesting thing about it is that it has a long tenon, it looks like a FujiGen tenon. Did Burny ever make their guitars there?

Yup.

http://www.japanguitars.co.uk/burny%20info.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burny

Mine's a transitional.

supergrade_18.jpg

Interesting. According to the Wiki page, the current Burny models are made by Tokai, I wasn't aware of that. That would be the RLG-105 model plus the custom model.

NWOBMH - what's the neck profile like on your RLG-105?

Latest posts

Back