Back in the fold, some questions about my USG90 too

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

proflonghair

Reaction score
Hello all

Am back in the fold for my forth Tokai (had two SG70s in the past and a Springy Sound). Just before my son was born, I sold my Jag to pay for a new bicycle, and bought a Tokai with the change (in the days when you could order Tokais from Ishibashi). I was unsure whether to plump for a white SG, or a TV Yellow LP JR DC. There ended up being a waiting list on both, so I opted for a walnut SG. Now, many guitars have come and gone since then (including another SG and two LP Jrs), but I've always wondered what if...

Have been chatting to a friend for the last few weeks on and off about his SG, and getting him to measure various bits of it. Was just a bit unsure because that would mean I had two humbucker guitars, and duplication tends to mean I favour one over the other, and end up flogging one or grumpy. I thought I'd just have a quick gander on eBay to see what Tokai SGs were changing hands for at the moment. The next thing you know...

SGbody.JPG

I've just bought this. MIJ Tokai, produced in limited numbers, same neck as my other ones with a single P90. AND IT'S WHITE.

I'VE GOT A WHITE SG.

I can die happy. Got it for a nice price too. Cannot tell you how over the moon I am.

Drove up and got it last night (ably assisted by my friend's ancient Satnav, which hasn't been updated since 1988, and sends me down leylines and stuff, and once got me a ?60 fine sending me down a road which had long since become pedestrians only). Seller was good as gold, although my first impression of the guitar was: oh heck, that's not the colour I thought it was. It's not a solid, flat white, it's slightly transparent (which I quite dislike on most guitars), and there's definitely a greenish/willowy tinge to it. It's somewhere between 'mint pickguard', 'cricket bat' and 'very pale bogey'. However, all was forgiven as soon as I picked it up - feel and action are amazing, and it really goes BRANG, as you'd expect. And the all important 'posing in front of the mirror' factor is particularly high. I'll try and get some better photos of the colour; the seller said it was called 'snow white'.

Weirdly, I thought the neck felt nice and massive, but in measuring it, it's only 21mm deep at the first few frets, fattening nicely as it goes up. These have long been some of my favourite necks (it's my third Tokai SG) - have checked against the measurements of the neck on my old black one (a friend bought it) and it's pretty similar; feels identical to me. Lovely and wide as well.

I was all ready to have to change the P90 out; but based on playing it through the Mustang very quietly at midnight while the rest of my house slumbered, it sounds pretty good. Especially liked turning the tone right down on the guitar and using the Marshall settings.

Light as a feather, one piece body, long neck tenon, and Kluson Deluxe tuners, which is a bit of a coup. The seller reckoned it was nitro over a poly finish, but I wasn't aware of Tokai doing this apart from on their very high end guitars.

So that's my question - what have I bought? It's definitely MIJ (two screw truss rod cover, 'Made in Japan' on back of headstock), serial indicates it was made in 2009. Is the seller right that it's nitro over poly? It's got the UK dimple on the headstock, but unlike the USG90 that's always on eBay UK, it doesn't say 'Love Rock' on the headstock.

So what do you reckon - what have I bought?

Love it.... have a lil Greco just like that and your elusive Tokai SG Special in TV yellow. Between the two, I like the single pickup.... just seems rougher, ballsier tone......

Answering a lot of my own questions here, but stripped it down tonight to clean and restring, and discovered that it has the following marks inside the pickup cavity:

- UK
- 811-21
- ST VW
- USG90D

The bridge is marked "TV MADE IN JAPAN" underneath, and possibly the nicest surprise: it has an RS Guitarworks .022uf cap in it - link here: http://store.rsguitarworks.net/rs-guitarcap-reg-022/dp/159. The P90 is plain silver underneath with no markings.

So, a USG90D made for the UK market, gawd knows what the '811-21' is all about - some odd production code, I'd guess. 'VW' must be vintage white, but I don't know what the ST stands for. And someone's put a nice cap in it. Very pleased - cleaned a load of DNA off it (it was the last owner's main gigging guitar), it's great with a slightly heftier set of strings on it.

Back