Bacchus CLASSIC series?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It arrived at my front door about 10:00 A.M. And I've been playing it ever since. It's now 1:37 and I simply have to stop to eat. About to pass out. Fingers are killing me but everything else is very happy. This guitar is amazing. In a word. It crushes the greco's in so many ways. And it's F'in BEAUTIFUL. Even if it does smell like glue. I even like the PU's I don't remember what they told me they use but I'm questioning if I should put the dry Z's in or not. And also to put the ever tune bridge on it. I hate to ruin it. I forgot to tell them to intonate it down a half step but it's perfect. This is the kind of guitar that makes you better. The neck is fairly huge. When I first touched it I was like WOW this is too big. But after about 10 minutes I switched over to my Greco and that felt small. So it's just a matter of getting used to it. Now I love it. Already. I can't even imagine how good it's going to be in 20 years.

That is good to hear Mitch. I like the pickups too though they are different from the DRY-Zs. Is there any chance you can show us a picture of what it looks like?

I will most likely tomorrow. Also you guys keep in mind that yes I am now working with Bacchus but only as of today. I had to see for myself. And yes I did pay something a lot actually for this guitar so it's not like I'm bragging about it cause they gave it to me. I don't do that and neither do they. I'm just happy to promote a company that actually deserves to be promoted. They are asking me what kind of dots I want on my duke neck. Any suggestions? what's the norm? I'm a simple look kind of guy. I just don't know what to tell them per dot material. The guitar will be black with cream binding and PU covers. I'm also wondering if I should take the PU covers off the Classic. I think with certain PU's that is an improvement and with others it's not. I have to look through my emails to find out what PU's are in this.

I can't stop playing it. Almost 12 hours straight. That's a record. It's funny cause it looks JUSt like a Les Paul. well from a distance anyway but it doesn't feel like a Les paul and it doesn't really sound just like a Les paul. It isn't a Les paul. It's way better. It has a soul of it's own. It's different. It resonates more like a high end acoustic. And has the fit and finish of one. It has almost too much tone you sort of have to relearn to play a little bit. It's a different beast this thing. Can't wait to see what the Duke is going to be like. The classics have zinc metal not Aluminum. In my experience thats a pretty huge difference but there is no use in upgrading for me cause I think I'm going to put the ever Tune bride on it. Scared though. Someone said on here that the older ones are better than the newer ones. I can't dispute that as I havent played an old one but I will say this. I don't think the company has lost a single step in their quality this guitar is first class. I've owned all the best of the best acoustics. Olsons, Walkers you name it. They have nothing on this guitar as far as quality goes. Tomorrow I'll take a picture and post a new thread.

Mitch Malloy said:
I will most likely tomorrow. Also you guys keep in mind that yes I am now working with Bacchus but only as of today. I had to see for myself. And yes I did pay something a lot actually for this guitar so it's not like I'm bragging about it cause they gave it to me. I don't do that and neither do they. I'm just happy to promote a company that actually deserves to be promoted. They are asking me what kind of dots I want on my duke neck. Any suggestions? what's the norm? I'm a simple look kind of guy. I just don't know what to tell them per dot material. The guitar will be black with cream binding and PU covers. I'm also wondering if I should take the PU covers off the Classic. I think with certain PU's that is an improvement and with others it's not. I have to look through my emails to find out what PU's are in this.

Great news that you like it! Admittedly you're still in the honeymoon period, so please definitely give us another report in a month or something.

My Duke has block inlays (square to rectangular) like a LP Custom, and I think they look pretty good. You said your JB Duke will be like a custom right?

After I got that Duke (I could tell it was a good guitar straight away) I decided not to bother going after any old ones...
But that's partly because I would rather buy a newer guitar when I can't examine a guitar in person.
Most older ones have to be purchased on the strength of a few photos and they often reach high prices, although Bacchus aren't as pricey as Greco and Tokai.
Then again, Bacchus guitars are nowhere near as old as those vintage Grecos and Tokais; they only started building in 1994.

I even like the PU's I don't remember what they told me they use but I'm questioning if I should put the dry Z's in or not. And also to put the ever tune bridge on it. I hate to ruin it.

In my experience of changing around 40 pickups in and out of various guitars I've found it's very hard to predict how certain pickups will end up sounding when they are in a particular guitar.

The only real way is to try it and see how the pickups and guitar combine together.

It might turn out really great or not that great.

I don't know much about the EverTune but from what I've seen it looks like it might require a bit of guitar body modding.
I don't think I would put the EverTune on a new guitar like the Bacchus if it requires some guitar body modding.

Yes honey moon for sure but I'm a picky ******* and was constantly looking for what was wrong with it. I found things but the great far outweighs the not so great. And I didn't know Bacchus was only since 94 I thought they were from the 80's. I have a greco super real and it cannot come close to the Bacchus. Bacchus is another level. In fact I have played ridiculously expensive collector Gibson's and this guitar smokes them in fit and finish. Gibson never reached this level. I would have to say that the man or men or people or whatever responsible for Bacchus is more talented then anyone at Gibson ever was except for the person who came up with the original design of the guitars. And that was Les Paul wasn't it for the LP? And yes my Duke will be custom but I meant custom for me not Gibson custom. So I can do to it whatever I want and I think I want dots. I like dots. I like simple. So they are asking me what material I want the dots to be. And I don't know. Mother of pearl? I don't even know what that means. Plastic that looks like pearl? LOL So I'm excited now and kind of depressed cause I'm going to have to replace all my guitars with Bacchus and my wife is going to KILL me. Wish me luck. LOL

LOL I know, the mail man came before my wife left the house. I was like honey don't you have to go. :>) LOL She was like YOU BOUGHT ANOTHER GUITAR!!!! The mail man says, well he got a really good deal on it. LOL I wasn't laughing I just couldn't wait to be able to open the box.

Just managed to squeeze in 10 minutes playing it. F'in AMAZING guitar. It's gonna make me a better player I can do things on it I cannot do on any other guitar. And it's fun and inspiring to do so not to mention it sounds enormous. I can't imagine Dry z's sounding better than this. The A does tend to drift a little when I hit a hard A chord but I think that is just one more reason to put the Ever tune bridge on.

Mitch Malloy said:
...person who came up with the original design of the guitars. And that was Les Paul wasn't it for the LP?

Er, not really. From what I've read Les Paul was the one who was pushing for a solid body guitar from Gibson, but the design was almost entirely created in house.
He obviously wanted Gibson to keep up with Fender who already had a solid body Tele (Esquire) out 2 years before the first LP in 1952.
Various internet sources cite Les Paul as the creator of the first solid body guitar which is completely wrong, but he may have been one of the people who did the most to popularise it.

Les Paul was a Gibson artist and they used his name to market the new design.
Put it this way - McCarty holds the patents on the LP design filed in 1953.

If you've ever seen any pictures of Les Paul's prototype it really doesn't have much in common with the LP design at all.
Then there's the all important humbuckers by Seth Lover, working for Gibson in late 1956, that have a lot to do with the sound of the LP as we know it.

Mitch Malloy said:
And yes my Duke will be custom but I meant custom for me not Gibson custom. So I can do to it whatever I want and I think I want dots...

I just figured that a Jeff Beck LP would probably have trapezoid block inlays of some sort, but dots will be something different.

Some 'dot' pics here

http://www.dukeluthier.com/category.sc?categoryId=14

web site name a strange coincidence :wink:

I have a Hamer Artist. It has Seth Lover PU's in it. or HAD I should say. they are terrible to my ears. I took one out and put an old cheap Greco PU in it huge improvement. I don't like the neck though but ti's a good guitar. Anyone wanna buy some Seth Lover PU's? LOL and I like plain white dots.

Mitch Malloy said:
I have a Hamer Artist. It has Seth Lover PU's in it. or HAD I should say. they are terrible to my ears. I took one out and put an old cheap Greco PU in it huge improvement. I don't like the neck though but ti's a good guitar. Anyone wanna buy some Seth Lover PU's? LOL and I like plain white dots.

I like Seth Lovers....... put them in an Orville SG and a Greco ES175. I think they were a big improvement over the Greco pickups.... now I'm curious what the Grecos were.... now which guitar did I put them in??

The greco's I buy are usually just the cheap ones. With a Number on them. They have a ton of high end and are a little micro phonic. But like I said I'm diggin these PU's in the Bacchus, They told me what they were I forgot now but they are Japanese. I was showing Phil the guitar he was impressed. He's been with Jackson for 20 years they just built him a brand new design he came up with. Mostly Les Paul looking but different.

don`t know about the 1994 year for Bacchus but they list 1977 as the year they started the Headway company in my oldest catalog and they say they`ve been building high quality guitars for 20 years in the blurb on the first page. I also have an old Japanese GUITAR magazine from 1982 with a picture of a lime green double bucker Brian strat...the BSM-8000 model...pretty ugly color but if they started Bacchus in 1994 they certainly were building guitars well before that, both electric and acoustic...I know Brian was another brand of theirs as well that were later made in Korea...maybe they always were, not sure.

Mitch Malloy said:
The greco's I buy are usually just the cheap ones. With a Number on them. They have a ton of high end and are a little micro phonic. But like I said I'm diggin these PU's in the Bacchus, They told me what they were I forgot now but they are Japanese. I was showing Phil the guitar he was impressed. He's been with Jackson for 20 years they just built him a brand new design he came up with. Mostly Les Paul looking but different.

were they made by Crews? I know Bacchus used their pick-ups before...they loaded their lipsticks into the limited run SRV Charly clone strats from years ago.

Could they be Yuta's? They use(d) them in their strats:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://park15.wakwak.com/~keiyo/guitarPU.htm&ei=9euyTYLiH8qTtwedt-DnDg&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=6&ved=0CE0Q7gEwBQ&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dyuta%2Bpickups%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1T4DKUS_enUS264US264%26prmd%3Divns

Back