• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

All gone now

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

proflonghair

Reaction score
So after years of foreplay, I'm taking the plunge and having a Gordon Smith built. After much soul-searching (frankly, I can't decide which one I want to keep the most), I've realised that I'll need to sell both in order to pay for it. So here we go...

First up, my Tokai SG75 - the second Japanese Tokai SG I've had, and they're amazing: the build quality and attention to detail trounces Gibson. It has the looks of a '61 SG (so the desirable small pickguard) but the meaty neck profile of the standard. The fastest, comfiest playing guitar I've ever had. It's light, too - under 7lb. I've replaced the tuners for white button Klusons (wasn't keen on the look of the aged-effect Gotoh tulips that were on there before) but I've still got all the original tuners. I've also swapped out the original humbuckers for GFS Mean 90s so that I could get some P90 bark out of it: they certainly do that a treat. Again, I've still got the originals, and will throw them in. If it ends up on eBay, I'll put the original kit back on and sell the tuners and pickups separately - about ?60 worth of extras right there. The bad news is that it came to me a little dinged (two small paint chips out of the bottom edge down near the controls), plus, like a dick, I dropped my Rat on it, so it's got a small dent behind the bridge and another one between the controls. Neither of these have broken the paint, and it saves you dinging it. For a quick sale: ?340. No case or owt, and due to my paranoia about sending set-neck guitars, I'd rather meet you to hand it over, but if I simply have to send it, I'll start hoarding cardboard now, and you can pay for postage... pics below. (please note, the pics pre-date the Klusons, white switch-tip and Rat-damage - which you can't see anyway).

sgfull.jpg

sgclose.jpg

sgstock.jpg

SG%20poops.JPG

Next up is my Baja: BUT DON'T BOTHER READING THIS BIT BECAUSE IT'S SOLD it's the blonde finish one with a black scratchplate, the 52ri lookalike. I shopped around for ages to find a light one, and this one tips the scales at around 7.5lb (a featherweight in the world of boat anchor Bajas...). Really resonant, fun guitar; a full neck profile with a slight V to it. The pickups in these things are amazing: the Broadcaster in the bridge sounds like every great tele sound ever, and the Twisted Tele in the neck has a lovely, piano-ey tone to it (reminds me a fair bit of my Jazzmaster, funnily enough). The S1 switching options mean you can do convincing humbucker and strat impressions too, as well as the oft-maligned weird out of phase Peter Green sound which turns every fuzz into an octave fuzz. I love having a tele, and I love this tele: it's with a heavy heart its up for sale, because it's a good 'un. Gigbag and all case candy. ?350 shipped. Will take pics if the sun ever comes back out again, but it's one of these, pristine enough to be new...

100_3297.JPG

Any questions, do pipe up.

Back