a quick question about tailpieces and bridges on LoveRocks..

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoveRocksRule

Reaction score
what i want to know is if there is any benefits from having a lightweight aluminium tailpiece and a bridge with brass saddles...

i see that the more expensive LoveRocks have these fitted to them, and i was just wanting to know if these parts make any differences at all to the guitar..

thanks in advance guys and girls...

From Dave

i got a alu tail peice a couple of months ago, but to be quite honest i didnt really hear much differance. but there are plenty of members reckon that there is a big differance.i suppose that everyone hears thing differantly, so iwould just say buy one and see for yourself, and if u dont likeit you should be able to sell it on. i think that there is a forum member from germany that has them for sale, if you do a search on the forum you should find h :lol: im

The common belief is that the alum tailpiece gives a brighter more lively sound, whereas heavier tailpieces promote a darker (some say muddy) tone.

Brass promotes sustain and is an excellent bridge material for that very reason.

Can't say I noticed much difference with brass saddles, but the alu TP did make a significant change. A lot smoother and sweeter.

Excellent for cleans and low gain stuff (blues, classic rock) but if you're into high gain you'd probably perfer the modern TP.

The Gotoh tailpiece can be bought through allparts and is quite cheap, so worth experimenting.

Paladin2019 said:
Can't say I noticed much difference with brass saddles, but the alu TP did make a significant change. A lot smoother and sweeter.

Excellent for cleans and low gain stuff (blues, classic rock) but if you're into high gain you'd probably perfer the modern TP.

The Gotoh tailpiece can be bought through allparts and is quite cheap, so worth experimenting.

thanks to the input guys.. i just wanted to know if there would be that significant of a change before i go buying one and i know most of the guys are very knowledgable on these kinds of things so that was my main reason for the post...

u have all been very helpful indeed and its is much appreciated for all the input and different peoples thoughts on the subject...

how much would the best brand of bridge and aluminum tail piece cost in UK pounds nay ideas guys... coz i think i am gonna experiment with it to see if i notice any differences between them both....

i recently made another post about the Zakk Wylde string wrapping technique... well i restrung my LoveRock today with his technique and im pretty sure that i have lost some sustain as opposed to the gain that some folk on here told me that i would achieve....

my guessing is that when they done this mod they acctually went up a gauge in strings at the same time and thats what gave them the extra sustain and they all thought it was the string wrapping technique... i have also noticed that i am experiencing some fret buzz now with this mod.... somthing that i never used to get with the way the axe was strung up befiore....
im gonna leave this set strung up the ZW way but when i rechange my strings which i do like every 2 weeks im gonna go back to the oringinal way coz it seemed better that way......

I think aluminium tailpiece improves Love Rocks,this is my experience at least.I would place it on every guitar I would own.And Gotoh ones are not so expensive,but I could not get any dealer selling them in metric size....I have not check in Japan however....

LoveRocksRule said:
Paladin2019 said:
i recently made another post about the Zakk Wylde string wrapping technique... well i restrung my LoveRock today with his technique and im pretty sure that i have lost some sustain as opposed to the gain that some folk on here told me that i would achieve....

Did you screw the tailpiece all the way down?

Re: aluminium - pigtail are reckoned to make the best of the best tailpieces but unless you're a vintage freak you probably won't notice much improvement between that one and the gotoh. If you go to the allparts UK website, the gotoh costs about ?60. Gibson's version costs double that, and pigtail are probably even more (haven't checked lately).

As far as the bridge goes, I really don't think it's worth changing anything just for the sake of change - very expensive for the kind of small improvements you'd get. Tonepros make a few models with brass saddles if you really want to go ahead.

Luis - I put the allparts gotoh on my love rock and it fits perfectly. I think the metric/imperial thing is insignificant in guitar manufacture unless you start looking at things like screws (eg. bridge or tailpiece inserts).

LoveRocksRule said:

my guessing is that when they done this mod they acctually went up a gauge in strings at the same time and thats what gave them the extra sustain and they all thought it was the string wrapping technique... i have also noticed that i am experiencing some fret buzz now with this mod.... somthing that i never used to get with the way the axe was strung up befiore....
im gonna leave this set strung up the ZW way but when i rechange my strings which i do like every 2 weeks im gonna go back to the oringinal way coz it seemed better that way......

Every guitar is different. If the string wrap mod isn't to your liking than simply restring your guitar. Is the bridge screwed down flush with the body? if so make sure the strings aren't hitting the bridge body or it's all for not. You probably lost sustain due to the loss of string tension in doing this mod. It's not for everyone.

If you have fret buzz now, the bridge may have been lowered during the mod or the decrease instring tension caused the neck to backbow a little. Try undoing the mod and everything might correct itself.

i did screw the tailpiece right down when i did the ZW mod...

though its been a few days since doing it i have now kinda got used to the feel of this setup the guitar feels a lot looser and i can get better bends and a much nicer wide vibrato as well... and i think it makes the guitar look cooler to!!

i do recon i need to go up a gauge with my strings i am currently using regular slinkys(10-46)... i was thinking on going up to power slinkys(11 - 48 )

i recon i am gonna buy myself an aluminium tailpiece and a bridge with brass saddles just to try it out....

thanks again for all the input guys....

From Dave

LRR's experience adds credence to my contention that the ZW string wrap thing would actually decrease sustain. I still hold this belief.

Back