A question about the neck of LS-95

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jas620

Reaction score
i want to know about 2009's tokai ls-95f
is it a 50's neck or a slimer 60's ?
because i'm prefer to slim neck due to my small hand
is there anyone can solve my problems?
thx a lot

All the Japanese Tokai LP standards I've plated have fat '50's necks, even with small hands you soon get used to big necks.

It's a 50's profile, but it's a complete myth that you need big hands to handle a 50's neck. It may not be what you're used to but you *will* adapt. I did.

It's all about technique.

Paladin2019 said:
It's a 50's profile, but it's a complete myth that you need big hands to handle a 50's neck. It may not be what you're used to but you *will* adapt. I did.

It's all about technique.

I remain to be convinced by that. If you like small necks, you like small necks.

I can cope with my LS70's fat neck at home, but I wouldn't fancy having to play a gig with it.

Mike

Helps if you try though Mike - I bet you get a bit distracted with your wall'o'strats as soon as your hands are aching!

Is it possible to get a neck reprofiled to be slimmer? I realise it would mean refinishing the neck, but is it actually possible? How close to the back of the neck is the truss rod?

I'm really looking forward to when I get back to the UK next month and get my first Tokai (currently looking at an LS90Q or LS85F, but might stretch to a LS150 if I can wangle it with the wife) but I am worried about the neck, particularly as the only guitar I have had for 18 months now is an Ibanez J-Custom with a Wizard II neck which is THIN and WIDE.

I've always preferred 60s profile LPs, but I'm willing to give anything a go, if it sounds and plays well. Just worried that I'll struggle.

SteveFerguson said:
Is it possible to get a neck reprofiled to be slimmer? I realise it would mean refinishing the neck, but is it actually possible?

Yes.

SteveFerguson said:
How close to the back of the neck is the truss rod?

That's the question! It wouldn't be cheap, & you really need to trust your luthier, or he might accidentally find out where the truss rod is! :-? Is it really worth it? I would suggest that you either live with the neck as it is, or look for an LP with a smaller neck if you can't.

Drastic work on guitars (including refinishing) is usually very expensive, & will usually detract from the guitar's resale value, rather than adding to it.

The Tokai necks are closer to the "59" size neck which is NOT the biggest neck Gibson used, the 58's were the fat ones and the 60's were the thinner ones. I am a small guy with small hands and have no trouble at all with my Tokai's....

Mick

leadguitar_323 said:
The Tokai necks are closer to the "59" size neck which is NOT the biggest neck Gibson used, the 58's were the fat ones and the 60's were the thinner ones. I am a small guy with small hands and have no trouble at all with my Tokai's....

Mick
thanks for your opinion,now i'm sure it's not a trouble for me to have it

stratman: yeah, I wasn't really seriously considering it anyway, just pondering!

I find it surprising that Tokai don't do a thinner neck option. is there a particular reason for that?

I'm fairly sure mine is a '58 and I've heard rumours of slim 60's versions but overall it seems to be down to the fact that people who buy tokai generally want these guitars to be like they were when they were truly great, i.e. 50's.

They are indeed supposed to all be a 59 neck. This is from the head of Tokai UK. It is chunky, but NOT *quite* a baseball bat '58. I suspect there is some difference in them as they are all hand finished, but you shouldn't find anything to scary.

Latest posts

Back