52 tele, Korean

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donky_kong

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the group and have seen some questions about the new 52 butterscotch blonde tele replicas, made in Korea. Are they good? Are they not good? Well, as a new owner of one, let me give you the honest scoop:

This guitar is atrocious. I ordered it from a place after reading some good reviews on it and taking his word that is was indeed a great value. Here is why it's so bad, component by component:

- Body: The body was described as "solid ash". It's nothing like any ash I've ever seen. Not only is it not ash, it's four pieces of ash. Instead of the typcial 2 piece with matched grain, its a sloppy, blurrry, 4 pieces of some kind of asian hardwood.

- Neck: I don't know about you, but when someone tells me a guitar is a replica, I expect fairly close match with the real thing. No so here. There is no skunk stripe, and the neck is two piece! Yes, they put a second strip of maple on top to make it a maple fretboard. Not only that, it can't be played without sever buzzing unless you put a very high nut on it. Then your intonation is terrible.

- Tuners: These aren't too bad.

- Controls: They used some cheap 500K pots with the sloppiest and scariest soldering/wiring I've ever seen, and they're split shaft. They didn't even care to snip off the excess wire after the solder cooled. The switch is very very flimsy.

- Knobs: The knobs are plastic split shaft with a metal over sheath. Cheap cast metal with chrome coating. The switch knob is just plain pitiful. Something so simple as a decent plastic knob could have been used.

- Control plate: This is probably no worse than the real fender model. HOWEVER, it was very crooked when compared to the bridge. This really pissed me off. The screw hole was off center from the routing.

- String ferrules: Neither flush nor protruding, but halfway in-between.

- Bridge: cheap, just like the original fender, so not so bad here.

- Saddles: cheap chrome plated things with grooves in them. Not sure how bad that is.

- Pickups: Ouch! they sound thin and harsh, no bounce, and no tele sound to speak of. Also weak. It doesn't even come close to a tele sound! And the neck pickup isn't even mounted straight!

- Neck nut: Ouch! This is awful! cheap molded, hollow plastic with shavings coming off from tuning the strings up to pitch. It's no less than a quarter of an inch from the string to the fretboard, so the intonation is terrible. Upon removing the GLUED IN plastic nut, I replaced it with a stock fender tusq nut and immediately improved things. How hard is this? The advertisement said "professional set up". By whom?

- Neck plate: Not even centered over the neck. Geez, can't these guys do anything right?

- Jack plate: This is atrocious. It's a football jack! And the jack is very cheap and flimsy. I removed it to install new controls and noticed that the screws where not straight in. Very very sloppy.

- Pickguard: Oh this really horrible. It's cheap polypropylene or similar plastic. That's not so bad, but one would expect the holes to match up and the curves to be curves and not pointed.

The place advertises these things as having "amazing tone and playability". Neither is true. "High quality vintage styled hardware". This is far from true.

In short, from everything I've read and heard about Tokai, this particular guitar is not up to their reputation. Admittedly, when I buy a strat or tele, I generally replace the pickups and the bridge or trem block to suit my own tastes. But in this case, this guitar isn't even good enough to gig with. I can hardly even enjoy it. I'm appalled that anyone would pass these off as great or even mediocre guitars. If Tokai is known for making great sounding and playing replicas, it can't be from examples like this!.

DK

i own one of these .. in fact, it's getting new pots, cap, switch (4-way!) and pickups in the morning (i decided on seymour duncan vintage stack for tele neck and bridge set) ...

amen on the nut being crap , i already changed that ... i like the bridge because the steel sounds twangy-er than brass to my ears ... and i'm thinking a two piece neck/board wont warp as easily ...

see, i know that this is a vastly inferior guitar than the real thing .. but i only paid $300 US for it and another $150 for parts to upgrade ... so i feel like i am getting a very sweet axe for $450 that i can take to bars and not worry about .. is it as good as the $1200+ fender 52ri? hardly ... is it as good as the $2200 suhr tele i played and fell in love with? not even close ... but it looks, plays and sounds like a tele for pennies on the dollar

i guess it's all in the expectations

cheers
t4d

Hi tone4days,

I think I'm coming to the same conclusion as you are - for the money it's hard to beat. All the parts you replaced, I'm doing the same thing. However, I recommend that if you have the time, wait for Bill Lawerance pickups.

As for the bridge, I'm replacing it, but I would replace any Fender/Suhr/Melancon anyhow - I love the Callaham bridges.

In the end, I'll probably replace the neck and body and end up with a new guitar for about $700 total. That would be a guitar that could hold it's own with any Suhr out there. And by the way, I hefted a couple of Suhrs locally and I wasn't that impressed. I still like the vintage Fender stuff.

As a note to Tokai in general, I'd have to say that the G&L Korean Tribute Teles aren't much better. But the Mexican Teles are a good bit higher quality than these Tokai MIK teles.

I'm really missing the ability to go down to my local shop and look at the Japanese Tokais. He was nailed for tax evasion and doesn't do much any more. There were some nice Tokais back then.

DK

i keep looking at the wilkinson compensated bridge, but it is pretty pricey ... it was on the suhr i played and i really liked it ... i like the sound of the SD vintage stack pickups ... very rich, without being overly 'anything' - and no 'ice pick' treble ... i really like the quiet :) ... the suhr pickups were actually quite nice too and i doubt that i woudve replaced them if i had bought the suhr ... i really like the 4 way switching too ... the series position is as loud as the parallel combination, just a little less top end sparkle, perhaps a touch more low-mids ..

funny you mention the MIM 50's tele .. i was pleasantly surprised by the neck feel of one i tried, but i really wanted butterscotch w/ black guard ... and it cost more than the tokai

good luck
t4d

:-? Ouch!! Thanks for shedding some light on this product. Im going for a Fender MIM Thinline ! Thanks for heads up! :wink: TG

just an update .. last night was the first time i had the tokai 52ri tele clone out for a jam with the matched set of Seymour Duncan Vintage stack for tele (neck + bridge) pickups and the 4-way switching and new pots/cap

i am THRILLED with the results .. it's like a whole new guitar ... very versatile cleans and KILLER spank-n-grit for that rolling stones / bruce springsteen vibe .. i even got a nice tone to play with on a few santana instrumentals ... i am sure that a purist would be able to pick it out of a blind listening test, but for a total investment of $450, this guitar is her to stay

i still need to drop the action a bit more, and i think i am going to do a bone nut and the intonateable saddles .. but these will be minor improvements

cheers
t4d

Back