1986 EG-500 Goldtop any good? I consider buying online help!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also notice after being on Yahoo Japan for a year that lots of Japanese in Japan have no idea what kind of guitars they are selling, nor do they appear to be bothered to find out!

Yeah, the longer you spend at YJ the more you realize... the more I realized...thats true...not everybody is interested in dissecting guitars as much as other people are, and if sellers can`t provide enough info via photos, paper work or markings/stickers on a guitar then I pass. Probably passed on more guitars than I bought. Some sellers seem to think just because a guitar comes from the golden era that it`s valuable...they ain`t...though it`s true there were a lot of outstanding guitars made there was no shortage of crap either. Frankly a few times sellers misrepresented a guitar too...out of 127 + million people, there are going to be some bad apples.

sneakyjapan said:
Some sellers seem to think just because a guitar comes from the golden era that it`s valuable...they ain`t...though it`s true there were a lot of outstanding guitars made there was no shortage of crap either.

+1 on that..... same holds true for Fender and Gibson. Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's great......but lots are being sold that way.

Guys, take it easy. I am not a collector and not an expert, but now I am a member of the church of Greco believers.
I got confused first because of the headstock (just Greco, otherwise
Empty) and the inked serial.
I will take a look inside and show some pics, the zebra P.U.
looks quite different from the other.
It was a good purchase, even with the Yen quite high,
Gordon

jacco said:
Where you can't see what it says besides the named GT, I can, it says EG59-50, NOT 57-50, so it's a 59 model according to Greco. That was my point. I can't show it here for I'm a Vintaxe member and catalogs may not be copied and used elsewhere. But you can check it for yourself if you would like to.
Also your EGC68-70 can be found in the catalogs as a EGC68-50 in VS finish = vintage sunburst. And yes Greco had off catalog models, these are not though.

Two points.. the '87 model EG68-70 I mentioned is solid transparent cherry (not vintage sunburst) It is very likely part of a limited run for a Japanese retailer. I've seen a few of these over the years on YJ. I've also seen this model in transparent blue.

I will defer to Villager and others but I've personally never seen a Mint Collection gold top given an EG59 designation. EG57 is typically a gold top with humbuckers, EG56 would have P90's. I've also seen an EG58 on occasion, which is typically a sunburst color like the many EG59's I've owned in the last 6 years. Since Gordon's gold top has Double Trick humbuckers it could likely be an EG57-70 or such.

fiftywatt said:
jacco said:
Where you can't see what it says besides the named GT, I can, it says EG59-50, NOT 57-50, so it's a 59 model according to Greco. That was my point. I can't show it here for I'm a Vintaxe member and catalogs may not be copied and used elsewhere. But you can check it for yourself if you would like to.
Also your EGC68-70 can be found in the catalogs as a EGC68-50 in VS finish = vintage sunburst. And yes Greco had off catalog models, these are not though.

Two points.. the '87 model EG68-70 I mentioned is solid transparent cherry (not vintage sunburst) It is very likely part of a limited run for a Japanese retailer. I've seen a few of these over the years on YJ. I've also seen this model in transparent blue.

I will defer to Villager and others but I've personally never seen a Mint Collection gold top given an EG59 designation. EG57 is typically a gold top with humbuckers, EG56 would have P90's. I've also seen an EG58 on occasion, which is typically a sunburst color like the many EG59's I've owned in the last 6 years. Since Gordon's gold top has Double Trick humbuckers it could likely be an EG57-70 or such.

I know what you mean, I've seen a few of those transparent red & blue ones too. Not cataloged for sure.

Of course is a GT with humbuckers normally referred to as a 57 model, Greco does not do that though in that catalog as well on the EG page as on the specs list, maybe a mistake.

sneakyjapan said:
most people overseas evidently think what they see on line is all thats available in Japan, there are a lot of small mom and pop used gear shops in the country that do not advertise on line therefore there is a lot of stuff that goes unseen abroad. What is seen is just a part of what we in Japan have access to.

There are so many of these little shops in Japan.

I go every once in a while with the big purse and get enough guitars to fill a container. Good deals but more fun!

Yahoo suck and is so over priced.

Back