1980 LS 80 Les Paul Reborn

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmarccoco

Reaction score
I kept my eye out for a tokai for my buddy pete. Pete is a Les Paul guy, but never played a Tokai. Pete had only seen and played my St 80 and St 100 strats. He liked them and i have been telling him about the reputation of the early tokai les pauls for about one year.

I've never been a real Les Paul guy, and I have never played a Tokai Les Paul.

Well , I found him a 1980 LS 80 Les Paul Reborn in Texas. He paid $1,600 delivered.

He got it today, and wow!, The Les Paul Tokais are great! I am now a Les Paul fan! The tone is awesome. It is in really great shape, near mint. It has a Dimarzzio in the bridge . The seller said that sometimes they were ordered from Tokai like that new. I don't know. it sounds great anyway. And the neck Goto pup is full of the "woody" vintage tone. NOw I know what the tokai les paul rave is all about.

We took it to Guitar center to compare it to the top Les Pauls they had there. We compared it to a $3,500 Historic, and a $5,000 VOS flame top. The tokai's tone was warmer and had more bell like tones than even the $5,000 gibbi. The Tokai was cleaner sounding, but still had a really nice break up tone at the same time. The Gibsons were more harsh and distorted quicker. The Gibsons bottom strings seemed a tad bit bright and slightly brittle compared to the Tokai. But, the gibsons did sound really good, just not as warm as the Tokai.. The intonation stayed the same all the way up the neck when plucking the top and bottom E strings together at the same time on the Tokai. The two Gibsons did not.

The guitar salesman was in awe and said openly thay the Tokai was a superior Les Paul after he played it for about 20 minutes! They were tested through a 59' Bassman. All three of us said that the Tokai had a notacible better tone, and had extra cool points because it was 27 years old.

The guitar salesman at Guitar Center are not real familiar with Tokai, but ever since I've been bringing in my springys, and now this Les Paul Tokai, they are getting quite familiar! They even admitted that the St 100 I brought in to show them is better sounding that the custom shop relics stratocasters they stock.. Thats from their mouth, not mine.. And they sell fenders!! :D

here is a pic of petes new LS 80

DSC01855.jpg

7022_3.jpg

Its really nice.. The guy I got it from is from texas, he said that he located it at a Guitar center in Los Angeles where a guy had traded it in for a PRS guitar. It has an old sticker on the case that says "Galanti" or somthing similar.

Love the color-sort of brown burst // really dark red-nice score !!

You slap some Dimarzio PAF's in her and

Whalah 1959 Les Paul !!
:D

yes i agree with ochay...some of the best finishes I have seen have been on the old tokais, the blending of the colours is just right, and the actual colours appeal to me too...lol of course thats after 25 odd years of fading too..!!!

Yes that colour is perfecto to me,I like it better than actual HDC which is a bit too red...

it's a good thing that it sounds good 'cause it aint much of a looker

that has got to be the plainest plain top I have EVER seen, bar none

not even any flowing flat sawn grain :(

I like the plain top look. Plus $1,600 for 1980 les paul reborn very good condition.....and sounds great........cant lose!!

I personally don't like loud and flammy....

here is loud and flammy:

406713399_8b1fb16423.jpg
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

No stripy chair? You should ask for one for Xmas. :lol:

Nice pic, I must do a group pic of mine. I'll have the blue one please :p Same age as as my red one, same distinguished family line........

113_1398.jpg

Now wouldn't they look nice together? You're right Ken, Les Pauls are much better, you don't need that horrible blue Strat, let me have it.....

:p

I love that Red strat! nice natural relic... I got to say that the LS my friend got sure sounds good.

But where is your Borat picture to follow? :D

Don't start me on that! I just watched your Borat "joke" on YouTube, now you've got me watching the other clips.

There's something strangely compelling about a Jewish man doing supposedly anti-Jewish jokes - very strange, & kinda brave too :lol:

I know! no one understood that he is Jewish too...

here is the best clip/...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=q2l0nu6m2cw

Actually I think this one is the funniest:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Vb3IMTJjzfo&feature=related

It makes you want to cringe, but it's a bit like watching a car crash - strangely compelling.

stratman323 said:
It makes you want to cringe, but it's a bit like watching a car crash - strangely compelling.

Mike and kmarccoco - don't lead me to that !!!!!! :D

BTW - aren't you hitchhiking this thread ... ??? 8) 8) 8)

Roger

Back