• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

1979 Les Paul - Tokai Reborn Gibson Law Suit Model - Beatifu

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...Anyway back to the topic. I Think there is a miss-communication. Just to keep it simple...
Yes its a Custom Reborn, because it has customized mods & Pickups (like many other guitar companies do to a standard to make is a "custom" model)
I agree with you....it should be fully re-created with super specs to be labelled a Company Custom.
My point was....Not it the "Title" name, because its not Tokai Company Titled Custom guitar, so I mention it in the description. Pretty simple really.

The Tokai "X" pickups that came in this particular Reborn don't seem to be as commonly found as in other Reborns I have checked out.
Maybe this is a reason some tend to think its a Tokai Custom Reborn....all I am saying is, it is because of the Mods & Customizing I have done.

"There's no evidence of even a threatening letter though. At the time it's entirely feasible that Gibson had no idea about them.
"Law suit" is sensationalist nonsense."
The Law Suit term...is a Generalization, don't have to take it so Literally to Tokai. Its just what they are known as, like a Nick Name. . . . Because, there WAS a Law Suit by Gibson that rattled the Jap makers, When these 'copy' guitars began appearing in the United States, Gibson's parent Norlin moved to blunt the attack by suing the US distributor for Hoshino, the Japanese company marketing the guitars made by Fuji Gen Gakki.
Not specific to Tokai Les Pauls....but this was obviously the "example" Law Suit that dropped most the Japan makes in that era into the Law Suit copy's that we all hear about.

I think you missed the point, a 'Les Paul Custom' is a specific model, totally different to a LP standard, the custom does not have a maple top, it's all mahogany, has ornate binding round the body and headstock, and different inlays, yours is a customised Les Paul Standard :wink:

...Yep, cool what you said!
Sorry man, but I just dont quite get the point of Dwelling ya got here...
I never Said it was a "Les Paul Custom". And I already said I agree with you on your take of a "custom"....Sweet though, I'm over it. :roll:

Anyone interested, please feel free to make an offer. Will be listing it on Ebay soon if it dont sell it else where.

sikaudio_com said:
...Yep, cool what you said!
Sorry man, but I just dont quite get the point of Dwelling ya got here...
quote]

It's basically that we have no lives, so we pick up on these things :wink:

Good luck with the sale, nice guitar!!

JohnA said:
a 'Les Paul Custom' is a specific model, totally different to a LP standard, the custom does not have a maple top, it's all mahogany:

I believe only the'54 model and some reissues were all mahogany. The rest have maple caps.

jawilluk said:
JohnA said:
a 'Les Paul Custom' is a specific model, totally different to a LP standard, the custom does not have a maple top, it's all mahogany:

I believe only the'54 model and some reissues were all mahogany. The rest have maple caps.

Correct, but very few of the original LP Customs (late 53 to 60) had maple tops. When they came back again in 1968 they all had maple tops, and the Gibson USA 57 Customs have a maple top, but the Historics have mahogany. I wouldn't mind seeing if there's a difference in tone between the maple and mahog.

I see from another thread that maybe you will sell without the "custom" parts on it:

I didn't know that the guitar might on offer without all the stuff on it!
Being an old fart I hate all that stuff like EMGs and black hardware... :lol:

What is left of the original hardware? Anything besides the pickups?

I have all the Original Hardware from Japan that came on it, knobs, Pickups (Tokai X) Chrome Bridge, tail piece, even the white/cream pick guard.
The only thing it had done to it when I got it (about 3 years ago) was a tuner upgrade / Down Grade to the Old Vintage Gibson style tuners.
Sloppy old pegs that dont stay intune (not like these Sweet New school Jap Gotoh Locking Heads :p )
...no offence to the 100yr Old Vintage Design...or is that 200yr old tuner design??
Anyway, all the Original gear comes with it, in a box, for some poor fellow to go through the pain of taking this
Vintage/Modern Killer Beast back to the Dark ages of 1979 to do one, maybe 2 or 3 sounds ( with volume knob adjustment)
....instead of ALL the versatile Tones this thing can do now with the Coil Tapping and Active Electrics! :lol:
AS you can tell, I love the Old school wood & body designs, but love Tuners that work smoothly & humbuckers with Sexy coil tapping.
I got a buyer in Oz here very interested, so if ya keen let me know asap.
Cheers mate.

sikaudio_com said:
I got a buyer in Oz here very interested, so if ya keen let me know asap.
Cheers mate.

No worries, I'm going to bail out - I saw how much you want for it.
Cheers.

...yeah they're pretty rare over here in Oz aye....the O'l '79 Reborn. I haven't seen any in my travels ....in Oz anyway. I cost me around $150aud for shipping from Japan. So I was hoping someone in Oz would grab it. Thanks for your interest mate.

:wink:

Nath

maybe...

I've got a couple.....there is usually a black LS50 hanging on the wall in the amp room at River Music, when it is not on tour.

They're around.

Back