Tokai Reborn old series .

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MASTER VOLUME

Reaction score
Hi , whilst out lookin ground the local guitar shop I noticed a 2nd hand tokai for sale. It was a gold top, japanese made les paul style guitar . The thing that stuck out the most was that it had an odd headstock shape. Rather than having an open book shape it had a rounded top. After having a look on the net turns out it looks like its one of the reborn old series which seem to be on sale in Germany . Any one got any info on these guitars ? Are they real Tokais ? It looked like a odd Fake guitar as the reborns were made in 1980.

I've seen those online. I think they're a special run of MIJ's that were ordered by a particular German seller. Why they have a rounded headstock, I'm not sure. Copyright? Tokai's reluctance to 'copy' their own vintage instruments? Anyone's guess...

Jason

Cant understand why they have the odd headstock and reborn name. it was for sale for ?650 which is a lot I think as its 2nd hand and looks awful. no doubt it plays well though if its a japanese made model.

They may have a different headstock for export purposes but I saw one for sale in Japan recently. It is an LS-98 model and also available in flametop versions. I'm happy the headstock shape is rounded at the top (a bit like Fujigen guitars) otherwise they would confused with the originals by new shoppers. There are enough other differences for the initiated, but they would still be a tempting target for fraud artists with the open book headstock.

Big Willie Style said:
I've seen those online. I think they're a special run of MIJ's that were ordered by a particular German seller. Why they have a rounded headstock, I'm not sure. Copyright? Tokai's reluctance to 'copy' their own vintage instruments? Anyone's guess...

Jason

Tokai's reluctance to copy and officially market Gibson's design outside of Japan, basically. It's a good move by Tokai IMO, the look of the headstock is less important than the overall quality of the product.

Although there's no copyright over the Gibson headstock outside of the US, other methods are used to try and stop clones being widely sold outside of Japan.
It's all about numbers, if it's pretty small scale then it's probably going to slip under the radar.

MASTER VOLUME said:
Hi , whilst out lookin ground the local guitar shop I noticed a 2nd hand tokai for sale. It was a gold top, japanese made les paul style guitar . The thing that stuck out the most was that it had an odd headstock shape. Rather than having an open book shape it had a rounded top. After having a look on the net turns out it looks like its one of the reborn old series which seem to be on sale in Germany . Any one got any info on these guitars ? Are they real Tokais ? It looked like a odd Fake guitar as the reborns were made in 1980.

The Reborn Old series has been revived with a new headstock shape:

http://www.tokaiguitar.de/vintage.php?folder=reborn_old_new&kat=010

HI Guys,

Sorry but I haven't understood well...I must ask you to:
- what's Reborn Series?
- Where are they made? Japan?
- I don't see "Tokai Love Rock"...so...what is means?

You'd suggeste to buy it?

Thank you in advance,
James

Jamesb said:
HI Guys,

Sorry but I haven't understood well...I must ask you to:
- what's Reborn Series?
- Where are they made? Japan?
- I don't see "Tokai Love Rock"...so...what is means?

You'd suggeste to buy it?

Thank you in advance,
James

Yes, made in Japan by Tokai exclusively for the Tokai distibutor in the link I sent you.

For all practical purposes, they are exactly the same (other than the Reborn name and modified headstock) as the Tokai Japan guitars. The specifications are given on the pages of the various guitars if you want to compare specs. They look fine to me.

Latest posts

Back