Keiyo pick ups in 2006 Love Rocks

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ganzua

Reaction score
I love the Keiyo mkIIset that came in my 2006 LS85f and I wonder what is Keiyo in Japan. Is it a famous or well reputed builder or one of those unknown small producers?

I own this black Tokai Anniversary and it also has Keiyo pickups. Just like the guitar the pickups are amazing: Loud with a lot of grit and definition. The guitar and the pickups have everything, except for muddyness :) 8)
TokaiAnniversary004.jpg

Kappie said:
I own this black Tokai Anniversary and it also has Keiyo pickups. Just like the guitar the pickups are amazing: Loud with a lot of grit and definition. The guitar and the pickups have everything, except for muddyness :) 8)
TokaiAnniversary004.jpg

It'll sound better if you take the plastic off....hehe...

marcusnieman said:
Kappie said:

Ha ha, meanwhile did that

Kappie said:
marcusnieman said:
Kappie said:

Ha ha, meanwhile did that

Man, I just love those Anniversary guitars.

Kappie said:
JohnA said:
marcusnieman said:

With you there Marcus, I like them more & more every time I see one!

You will be even happier when you PLAY and HEAR :eek: one :D

How do they stack up to a traditional Love Rock? As for the build and components, what is the equivalent LS model (95, 150, etc)?

Kappie said:
The guitar and the pickups have everything, except for muddyness

No muddyness here. Neck is quite dark but perfect for my purposes. :grin: I did a 50s de-coupled wiring, my favourite one, and I can mix to taste both pickups. With similar sounding pick ups, like a 57 classic set, this wiring is quite useless but with the Keiyo dark neck, you can blend to taste both and get a lot of sounds.

There are plenty of pick ups producers out there, sometimes a small company gets a lot of unfairly buzz and sometimes you get by chance a set of pick ups that was made by a larger producer with no reputation at all but it happens to be amazing. This is what I want to find out, if it was by chance :lol: Maybe the worker had a bad day and did a good pick up.

The set I have is great, sound is totally alnico II but with high output, it is compressed, gritty, a lot of mid-range, sustained... The guitar + the pick ups have some kind of natural compression that I like a lot and you don't need to use any compressor.

marcusnieman said:
Kappie said:
JohnA said:
marcusnieman said:

With you there Marcus, I like them more & more every time I see one!

You will be even happier when you PLAY and HEAR :eek: one :D

How do they stack up to a traditional Love Rock? As for the build and components, what is the equivalent LS model (95, 150, etc)?

Well, in my opinion they are better than say the LS100Q or the LS95F, especially soundwise, the playability is about the same. Of course I can only compare it to my LS85Q (nowadays LS100Q).

The main big differences of the Anniversary models compared to the above Love Rocks:

- One piece mahogany back in stead of two pieces.
- Solid 2 piece maple tops in stead of maple veneered maple tops.
- Long extended neck tennon versus standard tennon.
- Aluminium tailpiece versus zinc tailpiece.
- The fretboard is not as dry as on my LS85Q.
- Probably the pickups of the Anniversary are wax potted and those of my LS85Q certainly are not, that is why I never have dared to gig with the LS85Q because it was already sqeeking and feeding back in our rehearsal space.
- Another difference is that obviously the Anniversary models have no fret bindings and come with dot inlays, but that is cosmetic only.

As far as I am concerned the Anniversaries are much more comparable to a LS150 which has about the same specs. I guess that's why they are named GA130 up to GA150Q depending on the colour, finish and grade of the maple tops.

In brief: You get a hell of a guitar for the money, very resonant and very good. And different 8)

By the way, both of my best Les Paul type guitars (The other one is a LS240) have one piece mahogany backs, they just seem to be more resonant and have more character than guitars with 2 piece mahogany backs. Maybe it's a coincidence but actually I think it's not...

Cheers Herbert

Kappie said:
Well, in my opinion they are better than say the LS100Q or the LS95F, especially soundwise, the playability is about the same. Of course I can only compare it to my LS85Q (nowadays LS100Q).

The main big differences of the Anniversary models compared to the above Love Rocks:

- One piece mahogany back in stead of two pieces.
- Solid 2 piece maple tops in stead of maple veneered maple tops.
- Long extended neck tennon versus standard tennon.
- Aluminium tailpiece versus zinc tailpiece.
- The fretboard is not as dry as on my LS85Q.
- Probably the pickups of the Anniversary are wax potted and those of my LS85Q certainly are not, that is why I never have dared to gig with the LS85Q because it was already sqeeking and feeding back in our rehearsal space.
- Another difference is that obviously the Anniversary models have no fret bindings and come with dot inlays, but that is cosmetic only.

As far as I am concerned the Anniversaries are much more comparable to a LS150 which has about the same specs. I guess that's why they are named GA130 up to GA150Q depending on the colour, finish and grade of the maple tops.

In brief: You get a hell of a guitar for the money, very resonant and very good. And different 8)

By the way, both of my best Les Paul type guitars (The other one is a LS240) have one piece mahogany backs, they just seem to be more resonant and have more character than guitars with 2 piece mahogany backs. Maybe it's a coincidence but actually I think it's not...

Cheers Herbert

Cheers and thanks for your informative reply.....I'm kinda on the prowl for an LS150 after all of the recent banter about them. But I'm also digging these.....Already have a Reborn and an Edwards Jimmy Page LP, a 53 Goldie..... don't really need another Les Paul - but can you ever have enough? :wink:

Here's the lineup if anyone else is interested (from forum member togps)

http://www.tokaiguitar.de/produkte.php?rubrik=1&rechts=4

ganzua said:
Kappie said:
The guitar and the pickups have everything, except for muddyness

No muddyness here. Neck is quite dark but perfect for my purposes. :grin: I did a 50s de-coupled wiring, my favourite one, and I can mix to taste both pickups. With similar sounding pick ups, like a 57 classic set, this wiring is quite useless but with the Keiyo dark neck, you can blend to taste both and get a lot of sounds.

There are plenty of pick ups producers out there, sometimes a small company gets a lot of unfairly buzz and sometimes you get by chance a set of pick ups that was made by a larger producer with no reputation at all but it happens to be amazing. This is what I want to find out, if it was by chance :lol: Maybe the worker had a bad day and did a good pick up.

The set I have is great, sound is totally alnico II but with high output, it is compressed, gritty, a lot of mid-range, sustained... The guitar + the pick ups have some kind of natural compression that I like a lot and you don't need to use any compressor.

Ganzua, your description exactly fits my pickups, so I guess either the worker had another bad day and did a good pickup or the quality is just consistent :D

marcusnieman said:

Thanks Marcus,
check for Tokai Anniversary's also ACY's website:
http://www.acys-lounge.de/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=66&Itemid=87

Kappie said:
Ganzua, your description exactly fits my pickups, so I guess either the worker had another bad day and did a good pickup or the quality is just consistent :D

Well, if Keiyo is consistently producing good pick ups, then I wonder why nobody knows a word about the company.

Well there was a time when Tokai was quite a well-kept secret. And now Bacchus (and all the other Deviser/Momose companies) are still a well kept secret.

Well I actually owns 3 sets of Tokai mk II that are in my SG85 and LS150 and LS90Q and I can say that I really love those pickups in the Les Paul.

However I'm thinking of swapping the ones that are on my SG for classic 57.

Mine measure about 7.8k in the neck and 11.3k in the bridge.
Yet I don't know the type of magnet used here (perhaps mkII stands for Alnico II ?).

Here is the homepage of the makers:
http://park15.wakwak.com/~keiyo/index.htm

I sent an email to know more about it.

Oh yeah I have to mention that the bridge one in my LS90Q was a big squealer and I had to wax pot it but now it's great.

Thinking of removing the covers on my LS150, do you know what are the colours under it (zebra, cream or black ) ?

Do you know if my pickups measure around 7.5 neck and 11.5 bridge, no marking on the back, braided wires, means that they are Keiyo?
I really like their sound too, bright, tight, precise and powerful on my LS.
I olso own the gotoh ones, with green and yellow wires: LP-A (8,5k) and LP-F (11,5k) have the same dc impedance on neck and on bridge.

nomorph said:
Mine measure about 7.8k in the neck and 11.3k in the bridge.
Yet I don't know the type of magnet used here (perhaps mkII stands for Alnico II ?).

I can't tell for sure they are Alnico II, but that's more or less the sound.

nomorph said:
Here is the homepage of the makers:
http://park15.wakwak.com/~keiyo/index.htm

Yeah, I came across before this page :grin: and you can't come to any conclusion. The only PAFs they have are called CP-1 and CP-2 with almost any further spec. It is stated that CP-2 is sported by D'angelico guitars. Not a bad reference at all.

As MIJvintage said, they made YUTA pick ups and they better change the brand name if they want to export to Spain :lol: because the translation is almost like saying "*****".

nomorph said:
I sent an email to know more about it.

Please, copy-paste here any interesting information you receive!

togps said:
marcusnieman said:

Thanks Marcus,
check for Tokai Anniversary's also ACY's website:
http://www.acys-lounge.de/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=66&Itemid=87

Interesting but Acy's are different than yours (pickup selector switch is on the bottom horn, headstock is different, different tuners, different trussrod cover). :eek:

That begs the question - Has the guitar changed? Which version is the current available model?

Latest posts

Back