1984 Tokai TST40 Goldstar sound tremelo bridge

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacksocket

Reaction score
I want to change the bridge to one with solid metal bridge saddles. The original bridge (2 3/16" spacing E to E) is fixed to the body with 6x screws is the old style cast Tokai strat bridge with only 2 fixing holes compatible with this model?
This guitar is modified with vintage tonerider pickups. I would like it to have the sustain and full bodied mellow neck pickup tone like my early 70's strat.

Hey,
I don?t really know what you mean "old style cast Tokai strat bridge", maybe a picture could help..

I have a ST40 too and it has "Tokai" stamped bent steel saddles, upgraded the pickups too. I think the only improvement that?s still to be done is to change the zinc alloy tremolo block to a solid steel block.
Other than that these are fine guitars.

Regards,
Len

Len said:
Hey,
I don?t really know what you mean "old style cast Tokai strat bridge", maybe a picture could help..

I have a ST40 too and it has "Tokai" stamped bent steel saddles, upgraded the pickups too. I think the only improvement that?s still to be done is to change the zinc alloy tremolo block to a solid steel block.
Other than that these are fine guitars.

Regards,
Len
I'm also investigating that possibility, but I'm not sure what steel blocks are compatible rather than swaping out the whole bridge and tremelo, are they drilled with the same spacings as fender?

This was a direct drop in replacement for my 1987 Goldie ST50:

http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/product/Vintage_Style_Strat_Trem_GE101TC

I'm sure it's still available. Steel block etc.
I believe the originals were Gotoh too.

So maybe check out what Gotoh can offer as after market parts.

I would think the general spec's/dimensions of the ST40 and 50 to be the same.

Been perfect.

check the pics here with the older worn one, and the new one in-situ.

Photo0411.jpg

Photo0402.jpg

I just had a look at the Tremolo of my ST40 - Tremolo Baseplate and Sustain Block are one unit - so there?s no possibility to exchange the Sustain Block only - got to replace the whole Tremolo unit for a steel block

Regards,
Len

My early 70's fender strat has a diecast assembly also, but looks a lot more refined in finish and does not have a bubbling chrome corrosion. I don't know if any other Fender strat models have steel tremblocks, but I think a change of tremolo assembly would be an improvement on this model of tokai.

I changed the trem assembly on my 1980 ST55 too. It was a huge improvement in tone. I used a Wilkinson WV6 with steel block from Axesrus & Raw Vintage pure steel saddles and trem springs. Especially the springs made the difference.

Latest posts

Back