ST fanatics partscaster

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ATO

Reaction score
ST with 1983 fanatics decal but 1981 serial. Very rough, refretted, seems like nitro checking on the back of the headstock but it might be 'relic'd' poly. No pics of pickups.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/32590233...6dyJ3hoSoe&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
eBay description:
This is a Tokai Goldstar Sound guitar. It's a 50's-style strat type guitar, featuring a (senn) ash body, a bolt-on maple neck and fretboard with 21 nickel frets, 3 single-coil pickups with 5-way selector, master volume and a tone each for the neck and middle pickups.

Tokai dating for this period being tricky, to the best I can establish it is from 1983. I can explain in more detail if that's important to you, but if I had to swear to it I'd say it's from the '82-'86 period, so it is "vintage".

It has had a life and could be described as "player-grade", so please check the photos carefully for condition. Note I have adjusted the price accordingly.

- At some point the original bridge was replaced with some kind of double-locking system, including modifications to the bridge and nut area. This has now been returned to a traditional bridge, with the bridge holes dowelled. The central four trem screws are there but the outer two are missing as those two holes were enlarged to accommodate a 2-point trem. The bridge works fine, although it is currently blocked off. I don't have the trem arm.

- The original tuners have been upgraded to Schallers, and the original screw holes dowelled.

- A master kill-switch has been installed.

- The (original) nut has been repaired with CA.

As far as I know it is otherwise original and has good remaining fret life for its age. As you can see it's got its share of dings and scratches, again the condition has been factored into the price. It's currently set up for drop-A with EB Baritone Slinkys but returning to standard is as simple as new strings and a quick setup.

Given the above it would be preferable for the buyer to collect in person but I am also happy to post in the included aftermarket hard case. In this case I will not accept returns due to condition.

frBkK1P.png
ahJxU6g.png
En6RVHc.png
01fnxM9.png
Er99rMJ.png
EnjQYQR.png
gsl8OQO.png
8SH6P4G.png
GiAU3cE.png

Last edited:
Too funny.

I messaged him this morning and went back and forth. He says nobody knows what the serial numbers mean when I pointed out that the neck plate was likely switched or it's a Partscaster and so I gave up.

I get tired of trying to correct people that are wrong and proud to be. Gotta just let it go at some point.

I think this could be an ST80 with v neck and nitrocellulose lacquer finish. I think I've seen a few 1981 serial number guitars with this type of transition decal and heard it said they were re-decalled at some point...? Anyhow I was negotiating to buy it but I'm in Australia at the moment so missed the counter offer and it was sold by the time i woke up. If the buyer is one of us I'd love to know if it's an 80! Best regards a to all, Mark

Back