Wolfetone DrV in Edwards E-LP-90 LTS

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tudor

Reaction score
What can I say ? still impressed by the change ?

My Kloppmanns `59 have been my favourite pups in my Edwards ? until I?ve purchased a set of Wolfetones Dr.V ? used but never used ? at a reasonable price compared to the Kloppmanns ?

They came with Zebra bobbins and - I prefer the German Silver covers on HBs - are reversed wound, something I had never tried before ?

I put them in on Friday and ? can?t stop playing them ? WoW ? what a sound !!!

As the Kloppmanns seem to stand for the more ?harder sound? of the old ZZ-Top ( I know it now ? no compromises, because the setup of my amps are the same and my guitar setup as well), those Wolfetone pups have a nice, smooth approach to the Vintage ?bluesey tone? I could die for ?

Supported by the ?reverse wound? the sound of the bridge pup (normally neck position) is now more detailed, pronounced tones without getting muddy at any Vol range you like ? my Edwards is singing now in a sweet midrange but also capable to reach nice overtones ? depends on your playing style ? great.

The neck position (normally bridge pup) has got a bite now that I?ve never heard before ? squealing overtones but also sweet, every tone is detailed ? also when playing chords ? it?s the pup I like most ? Gary Moore isn?t far away ?

And ? the ?50s mod wiring of my Edwards is now able to give the total range of nice played chords when switching to the middle position where both pups are on ? rich harmonic sound, balanced and clear ? the basses are clear ? not dull.

The pups can also be dirty ? really dirty without that ?cutting knife sound? of the Kloppmanns ? from sweet overdriven to heavy but with a piece of sweetness ? that?s what I like ? I?m not a heavy sound man at all ? ( supported by Damage Control Demonizer or TS-9/mod)

Now I also know that my Edwards is able to deliver more than the SD tones from the stock equipment and more than the Kloppmanns could provide ? she?s a nice guitar now which fits my style of playing more than ever ? comes close to my Gibbo with the Fillmores ? I will also give the Dr V a try in that beautiful guitar ?

Roger

My experience with my own Edwards has been that once I made some upgrades (pots, cap, jack, pickup, tuners) it became "The One I'll Never Part With". For anyone with an Edwards, I say it's worth doing. Fantastic guitars (yes I like it even better than my Tokai)

Latest posts

Back