Wiring help needed - Strat with series blender

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The series wiring blended in fine. The problem was the normal wiring - it didn't work.

mirrorboy said:
I think you have a connection missing from the unused tone pot terminal to ground. Shouldn't there be another connection on the volume pot, from the casing to the ground lug?

Thats the only thing I can see too. Not sure why it's wired the way it is, but you might as well try it the way it is on the layout.

The layout doesn't have that terminal used, John. Easy mistake to make but grab the original PDF and it's clear that it's not connected - Mike had it wired correctly.

Well I'm glad you said that Alan! I know that you guys all know more about electronics than I do, but I really couldn't see how anything to do with the master tone control could cause such major problems.

I thought maybe I had a switch that was wired in an unusual way, but when I wired it up using the parallel blender diagram (also from Acme), it worked fine first time.

So I'm stumped by this. I still wonder if there is a fundamental problem with the diagram? It's also badly drawn - it's a job working out where the various wires go since they haven't colour coded them.

I think I need to speak to someone who has tried this circuit & made it work. But I don't know anyone like that, so I guess I'm out of luck, really.

Thanks for your help anyway guys, it is appreciated.

The only thing I've done similar to that was with a push/pull switch Mike - much easier to get working than using a blender to switch between them!

I had a diagram for series wiring on a Strat (using a push/pull) years ago, but I no longer have it. And I couldn't find one on the internet. Do you have a copy of the diagram you used? It's just vaguely possible that it might manage to make it all make sense to me.

Unlikely, admittedly. :-? But worth a look if you have it.

Mike, came accross this and wondered if the pdf you can download would be of any help.

http://www.mojotone.com/Guitar-Parts/Guitar-Kits/2113349

Dave

Thanks Dave, but that seems to be parallel wiring - much easier to do & much more common. Series wiring seems to be a more complicated thing to achieve.

Hi Mike, as I've said before my electronics knowledge is pretty well zero. I'm just a wire it by numbers guy. This link does have some serioes strat diagrams though using a push/pull pot.

http://www.deaf-eddie.net/pushpull/pushpull.html

Dave

Thanks to a very helpful guy on Strat Talk, I now know what was wrong. I used a no-load pot for the blender - & it was the no-load pot that caused the problems.

I switched the no-load pot for a standard Alpha 250k B (linear) pot, wired it up exactly as before, & it now seems to work fine. The circuit now works as described in the Acme diagram - series wiring in positions 1 & 5 when the third knob is turned down to 1, & standard Strat wiring when it's turned to 10.

The series sound is fatter (as expected), & time will tell how much use the series options are in practice. But of all the extra wiring options that are possible on a Strat, this one seems like it will be the most useful as it gives the option to fatten up the sound when needed. And all for a maximum of ?2.20 - the cost of a new Alpha pot. I imagine that it would work (though maybe not so well) with a log (A) pot, but I haven't tried that yet.

So, if you try this yourself, remember that you can use a no-load pot for a parallel blender, but NOT for a series blender.

If I can get myself organised in time, I'll try to make sure that I bring an example of each to the Leeds convention in a few weeks - one Goldie with a series blender & one Goldie with a parallel blender. It will interesting to hear what other people think of the two options.

:D :p 8)

Ah, yes, sorry Alan! I see what you mean now!

Well the other guy spelt it out for me even more clearly than that, & you should know by now that you have to make these things really simple for me to understand.

:lol:

Back