Help needed to identify a Tokai strat

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I firmly believe this guitar was made during a period when Tokai was making guitars for Fender.

The "T" in the neck code seems to differentiate it from necks they made for Fender branded guitars that had a "F" in the code.

See here:

No Serial Number MIJ Goldstars

And here:

Tokai Built Fenders

And the CTS pots look like they have a date of 2015 or 16 so they were definitely put in after this guitar was sold originally. By 2105 Tokai Goldstars had inked serial numbers on the neck heel and truss rod adjustment on the headstock on ASTs.

Screen Shot 2023-01-08 at 2.46.07 PM.png

This guitar is similar to the AST50R shown in the 2003 catalog.

Pickguard obviously replace.

2003 catalog.

Screen Shot 2022-11-11 at 9.58.07 AM.png

Last edited:
My guess is that the guitar in the OP dates from around 2004, during a period when I believe Tokai was making R serial CIJ Fenders.

Look at the stamp on this guitar and on the R serial Fenders. Similar weak transfer on hte MIJ and CIJ stamps. The Fenders also have countersunk holes in the neck pocket in this period.

My two cents.

...Any idea what that t1u -61 in the neck stands for?
It's actually T10-61

The "T" I think stands for Tokai and differentiates the neck in the factory from necks they made for Fender that had an "F" stamp in the neck code.

f29cf358265e284ab7f9822437c3e645.jpg

As an update, the labels stuck on the pickguard look like serial number labels for Seymour Duncan Antiquities, so non original.

Wondering if they make entire pre-wired harnesses?

d77dfcc3af6ff18af01b635cb9a4dde1.jpg

Last edited:
Back