Which steel trem block will fit my 1980 Springy?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JohnA said:
jacco said:
JohnA said:
Which Wilkinson bridge did you order? The fixing screws are different spacing on a lot of them you need to get the one with elongated holes.

Yep, I got that one. Any hints on how to age it a little bit?

I think they are chrome rather than nickel, go chemical aging won't work, wire wool, or 'wet & dry' paper is really your only option.

Thanks John! Wire wool is that the same as steel wool?

hmmm, the original 1 piece zinc alloy bridge/tremblock weighs 320 gr and the new Wilkinson 2 piece bridge with steel trem block weighs 285 gr. It does fit nicely though

jacco said:
hmmm, the original 1 piece zinc alloy bridge/tremblock weighs 320 gr and the new Wilkinson 2 piece bridge with steel trem block weighs 285 gr. It does fit nicely though

So maybe it wasn't worth it after all....?

stratman323 said:
DaveWW said:
Mike, haven't ever tried it but I could imagine that a heavier better fitting block could offer an improvement or at least some difference and sustain.

I'm not sure that a steel block is any heavier than the alloy block. It's just magnetic - not that that is the slightest bit relevant....

Just sayin'.......

I don't know yet, have to set it up first, will do tomorrow night and will let you know. I have recorded it acoustically & through an amp with the old set-up so I will be able to back up any differences.

Just finished setting it up and surprise, surprise: there's a major difference unplugged!
The sound overall is defenitely more metallic with more overtones and not in a harsh way, warm. It has the same depth as before but a noticably more sustain. Can't try it plugged in right now for the neighbors won't like that :D

I know it is an old topic, but for the record my 1982 Fender 57ri came with a steel block, after literally years of internal debate about benefits and talking to people who said they were good and others saying they were rubbish, I decided I'd buy one and decide for myself.

The Callaham bridge is miles better than a bridge with a zinc block, with regard to my steel block, ON MY Guitar (maybe not your guitar) the string tension was different and the highs shifted upwards so there was vintage chime where it didn't exist before.

If you have quite a bright Strat like guitar you might hear no difference at all, if your guitar quite chimey don't worry too much about it.

Regards

Mark

Latest posts

Back