What to play in guitarshops?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Outsider

Reaction score
Does anyone else have the same problem as I have, that it's almost impossible to play decently in guitarshops? I consider myself to be a solid player (19 years playing behind me), but everytime I go to try out some gear, I sound like a righty with two left hands. Usually I relax after five or so minutes but it's terrible to begin. I had a terrible time in Nagoya, because all the staff members that tuned the guitars for me were excellent players and I sounded like an idiot.

Also what do you guys play in shops? Blues licks (hope not...)? Classic rock riffs (grandpas!)? Your own songs (courageous!)

Good question! I know what you mean. I tend to play blues licks, depending on what I'm playing - if it's a Tele I'm more likely to play choppy chords. I'm much more likely to buy something from a shop that isn't staffed by kids with attitude - the type who spend all day playing that heavy metal "widdly-widdly-screech" stuff.......

There used to be a shop in London's Denmark Street (Rokas, now called Rockers) which had a list of songs that customers were not allowed to play. As I recall, it included Stairway To Heaven, Smoke On The Water & Money For Nothing. :p The list was added to from time to time...

Mike

Outsider said:
Does anyone else have the same problem as I have, that it's almost impossible to play decently in guitarshops? I consider myself to be a solid player (19 years playing behind me), but everytime I go to try out some gear, I sound like a righty with two left hands. Usually I relax after five or so minutes but it's terrible to begin. I had a terrible time in Nagoya, because all the staff members that tuned the guitars for me were excellent players and I sounded like an idiot.

Also what do you guys play in shops? Blues licks (hope not...)? Classic rock riffs (grandpas!)? Your own songs (courageous!)

What's wrong with blues licks? Maybe you prefer show tunes?

I don't bother playing anything at the guitar shops. Every teenage wanker in town are usuall polluting the air with amps cranked up so loud you can't even talk to someone. I'm not there to show what I know....I'm in and out with strings, picks and so forth.

marcusnieman said:
What's wrong with blues licks? Maybe you prefer show tunes?

I don't bother playing anything at the guitar shops. Every teenage wanker in town are usuall polluting the air with amps cranked up so loud you can't even talk to someone. I'm not there to show what I know....I'm in and out with strings, picks and so forth.

How did you know? I love show tunes! :lol:

There's nothing wrong with blues licks, it's just that my experience is that most players don't really have anything to add to that idiom, there are exceptions of course. Neither do I think that I need to prove anything with my playing. I just wish I could have some kind of repertoire to play when testing stuff. And know how to handle the "guitarshop-fright" which in my case is a lot worse than stage-fright.

It depends on both the staff and the other customers.
I often am asked to demo gear for my local store....so it alternates between loud,modern blues licks....a smattering of Steve Lukather/Neil Schon type licks and a smaller percentage of widdly-widdly stuff 8)

Outsider said:
... and I sounded like an idiot.

YES - I know that very well ... :roll: :roll:

Mostly I don't know what to play ... at home it's easy going but the 'audience' really kills my inspiration ...

I use to go to a separate box / room where you can try and check for your own ... without those nasty kids ... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
... who are watching 'that old Man' trying to play some chords ... :oops:

Roger

Latest posts

Back