Tokai Pr50 review

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pr50yellow

Reaction score
Hello everybody again,
so after 7 days my pr50 traveled from Uk through Germany and finally arrived today in Italy.
The setup was terrible but I don't worry I checked everything (springs tension, tremolo height, saddles height, fixed the tuners, put our miracolous olive oil on the fretboard) and then put the new strings.
The guitar is a set neck prs copy, body made of alder, a fat neck made of maple. The top is carved and quilted and looks like a more expensive guitar. The guitar looks really nice, remembering me my long time sold prs custom 24, even if it cannot be compared to that guitar in terms of look. In fact some minor flaws can be seen on the top which is not uniform everywhere. I really like the headstock with the logo Tokai made of mother of pearl, as for the dots on the fretboard. In general I really like the look of the pr50.
The built quality is pretty good, seems very solid. It is very very light and I don't know how is it possible but weighs much less than my strat made of alder.
The body is pretty resonant, I think it is due to the neck wich, a part of being set-in is very big, like the gibson les paul. I think the neck and the fretboard in particular one of the best appointments on this guitar. I am used to play on thin necks but, surprisingly to myself, I'm very happy with it, the frets are well put and you can really run if you can (I'm not a fast player I prefer other aspects of guitar playing). The only thing I wonder is that the action cannot be regulate so low, otherwise the high e string and b string touch the neck pickup. So it was pretty long to fix this problem, the negative fact is that you cannot regulate to much the neck pickup you have to leave it very very low, on the counterpart these pickups seem to be pretty high output so it balances in some ways.
The pr50 comes with a volume pot a tone pot and a 3 way switch "? la les paul". Everything works fine pots are sensible and gradually increase volume and decrease the high frequency on the tone pot. Switch is very stable that means it stays where you put it. In general all the controls are well positioned and can be used very easily.
The tone: now I only have a small amplifier at home it's a kustom 10 watts but works just fine on the clean channel (that I use together with my stratocaster made by an italian luthier). As far as I can tell now but having my experience to guide me through this review, I have to admit I was really surprised by the sound of this guitar, what you mean by that you can ask me? I try to tell you. I played several cheap guitars from china korea during the last 5-6 years, and I've realised that even if the guitar can be well made in terms of build quality, 99% the pickups are unusable (see the chinese epiphone first). The pr50 has a mellow sound with the neck pickup but it never sound muddy (volume and tone all opened). THe bridge pickup is interesting because it's not "acid" but has a warm sound and has the right bite as well. I think these pickups are not bad at all. With the mid position switch you can obtain interesting sounds for rythm parts or for country rock riffs (I tried life in the fast lane of eagles and was convincing).
I could not test the sound with a distortion pedal or overdrive, but I believe it fits perfect for rock, hard rock and blues.
The tremolo is very effective and permits the guitar to stay in tune, onsider that I don't do dive bombs but used it for some pink floyd parts.
So to conclude I am pretty happy with this guitar, even if the body is not made of mahogany like the real prs custom 24, the sound is warm and is pretty versatile, good sound good quality overall. I could do almost every style with the pr50, even if I think, and let me use an italian way of saying, it's death is rock-blues and hard rock. (this expression is used in cooking when for example you put together rice and mushrooms, and many many other things that I cannot explain in english).
So Ihope to have included everything in this review (its' my first) if you have other questions or you don't agree on something please reply.
Bye bye
God bless you all
Maurizio

Wonderful review Maurizio! A very nice contribution to the forum.

Are you saying the guitar is good at Hard Rock or not good at Hard Rock? Sorry, I didn't quite get the meaning.

Sorry for my bad english (by the way of hard rock) I meant that it is good for hard rock the pick ups put out a huge volume.
the only doubt I could not establish yet, is the dynamics of the pick ups i don't know how the touch can influence the sound.
The sound is in between of a prs and a les paul, in certain ways i prefere this sound to my prs custom24 I had, because the prs had lot of middle but lacks in bass frequencies as far as I remember I sold it 3 years ago.

Hello folks I'm posting another comment on this guitar. I have played it with a real valve amplifier a laney vc30 2x12 and I have to confirm my sadly first impression about the pickups wich are really too high output for classic rock and blues, the styles I mostly play. The problem is that it's difficult to obtain a clean sound with these pickups, even at low volumes with clean channel the sound is almost a crunch. that's why I'm looking for a new pickup set.
I've thought about the sd 59 what do you think about them, would they fit for this guitar?
The problem is that I am afraid that with moderate pups the guitar lacks of basses, due to the wood of the body which is not mahogany like the les pauls or prs custom 24.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Back