Very nice Tokai ES335

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacco

Reaction score
http://www.ebay.nl/itm/Tokai-Japanese-Custom-Shop-ES-320-335-Electric-Guitar-ES320-Japan-MIJ-/290615179386?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item43aa03b87a#ht_9838wt_1164

C360_2011-09-3009-44-18.jpg

C360_2011-09-3009-45-15.jpg

C360_2011-09-3009-44-43.jpg

Don't know why it says 320 there..

Isn't the 320 orientated about the price as for the LS range ? I mean there is a ES-135 too as a 335 copy.Ah ok...it is written 320 for the style :oops:

Yeah I first thought the same thing Timo, I think it's a strange mistake for something that's printed instead of handwritten..

jacco said:
Yeah I first thought the same thing Timo, I think it's a strange mistake for something that's printed instead of handwritten..

"carved out of all solid flamed maple"

He's saying it's a custom built semi carved out of flame maple instead of constructed from pressed laminate.

A bit strange, but given the label, and the look of the thing it seems plausible.

No clear pics of the edges of the f-holes which would have been good evidence.

jacco said:

Definetely ! Would be very interesting to find another one from this limited run to compare.Anyway a PRS with such flames cost you more as twice that much !

no jacco i am not sure, for the price at the time it would seem correct, but there are very few solid 335's around as far as I know, do you know of anyone who has made them this way?

Here?s a link where they also say it?s carved out of solid maple ?aus massiven ahorn gesnichtzt ? (If I translated it correctly?).

http://www.gitarrentotal.ch/node/475

You will have to take some money in your hands because of the limited run but this is truely a piece of art.Only the dimple...

singemonkey said:
Hmm. I wonder if it sounds different to a normal 335 design. Even classic '58 and '59 335s were made with laminate.

Didn't Heritage make a line with solid wood top? Do I remember an ad with Roy Clark?

I was offered a guitar similar like that shown. It was called ES-420 however and was an special model (maybe a one off 9or a very limites series).
Quite expensive but tempted.
Solid maple top so not like a 335,maybe better (Heritage Eagle archtops have solip tops and are wonderfull).

Very nice guitar.

The Edwards are solid top and back...the one I had was and the ones I see in shops and they are listed as such in my catalogues...can`t speak for catalogues people overseas have... some old Yamahas have solid tops. There was a used navigator locally that had a solid top too.

Back