Very first Tokai LS?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacco

Reaction score
I have these pictures for some time in my database and every now and then I go there to look for clues but this guitar really keeps on puzzling me. I could use some help, any thoughts are welcome.

This is a 1978 or maybe 1979 Burny FLG. This period is interesting in Burny history for there was parallel production of Burny and Fernandes branded Les Paul's by Terada but also by Tokai. All Tokai Burny's I have found all Tokai Burny's do have a low 1978 serial number and they are the equivalent of a LS-60 regarding specs.
Normal features of the early 1978 Tokai;
-off set tenon with maple insert
-can have either a center seam 2P neck or 1P neck.
-early type LS circuit board with 250k pots

This LP has some anomalies if it was a period correct Tokai:
-No maple inserts in the tenon
-Off center seam 2P neck AND heel cap
-Non typical control cavity shape
-Fret edge binding
-Tab routing is not squarish like Toka
-No ink serial number

I will include pics of the pickups but they seem to be replaced looking at the soldering.
My thoughts:
1. Kasuga?
2. Very early Tokai?

Here are the pics..

IMG_0137.jpg

IMG_0136.jpg

IMG_0131.jpg

IMG_0138.jpg

IMG_0139.jpg

IMG_0135.jpg

IMG_0132.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

IMG_0140.jpg

IMG_0141.jpg

The neck looks like it is 3 piece, similar to Norlin neck construction up to 1985.

Possibly a Kasuga produced Les Paul.
Check cavity route similarities (outside of wire channel differences)
to pics in this mystery guitar thread.
http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/other-les-pauls/196432-help-identifying-my-new-guitar.html
Also note the similar circular ink stamp next to tenon and end tab route.

Cali Girl said:
Early construction should really have a 2 piece neck with center seam.

The 3 or so early FLG Burnys I had had 2 piece center seam necks with heel cap.

Reagarding the one on these pics I'd say Tokai from the fretjob :D
No idea why I feel so but that looks very much like Tokai FEB filing, ha ha.

Maxon made pickups (PU-1 pickups are split 4 conductor pickups)
Tokai circuit board for pots

Hmmm...

I found this Kasuga produced Fresher bridge pickup cavity shot courtesy of JDB.

7449064472_ecb96a3f4a_b.jpg

Note how the right end tab route appears to extend to the very bottom of the pickup cavity as does Jacco's example in the 2nd to last pic above
(almost completely obstructed by the pickup)
The same circular Kasuga ink stamp is evident in this pic as well.

There are Tokai examples of control cavity lobes not being routed flat on export models (as this Fernandes LP example probably is) and on later inkie models,
but the shape of the left lobe is longer and much less pronounced on Tokai examples, as the other 3 lobes are, than on Jacco's control cavity example above (8th pic).
Harness entry and exit hole locations in the same control cavity pic, are seen in certain Kasuga model years.
Tokais harnesses are routed through the right lobe to the jack, instead of below the right lobe.

Electrics ( Tokai pot + circuit board assembly) do not appear to be original to the guitar.

Reborn Old said:
The neck looks like it is 3 piece, similar to Norlin neck construction up to 1985.

Gibson did not use a fourth piece on the heel of the neck like this guitar.

Hi folks take a listen to my very first tokai les Paul, serial number says 1983 1st run, sure it's an ls60 still has the sticker on the head stock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpHoTtt-Hb0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Latest posts

Back