Tokai ST-100 Natural!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Udonitron said:
You guys need a new routine. You are trying too hard to call Jacco out in various threads about his painting of that Tokai. It is his guitar and thus his decision...just leave it be already! it is his money and his opinion that matters most to him, right? Besides the entire thread has been about that and nothing about the rare 100N!? :-?

Relax man! If jacco didn't want to be drawn on the matter, he would have just ignored Gabe's comment.

As for us going off on a tangent, have you only just noticed that that's what happens on this forum? It's one of the things that makes it interesting to many of us.

jacco said:
Surf green was used on Chevys and sea foam green on Buicks..

OK, which is this then?

IMG_2978.jpg

I also think the wood grain (or lack thereof) of this particular piece is boring. I love that seventies natural look, swamp ash with a nice fat grain and black pickguard, pickup covers and knobs. Sort of a nice 70s soft rock look.

If anything, I'm a bit more tempted by this one:

http://www.digimart.net/inst_detail.do?instrument_id=DS00955527

But I have 4 Strats already and have to really fall in love now before I buy again.

BrazenPicker said:
If anything, I'm a bit more tempted by this one:

http://www.digimart.net/inst_detail.do?instrument_id=DS00955527

Nice grain, but WTF is going on with that scratchplate? Plastic should be white. :wink:

One other point - many (most?) 70s Fender Strats were far too heavy - not a mistake Tokai made when making natural finish ash/sen Strats.

stratman323 said:
jacco said:
My eyes are as good as my ears :D

You should tell Tokai - they think it's Sonic Blue! :-?

Yep, I know about those Tokai colors. We both know this isn't sonic blue or it can be my ears are not so good as I've always thought :D

jacco said:
Original and only found on the SE1000 in the 1977 catalog.

Really? What a strange choice.

Oh well, I've already learnt something new today - I guess I can go back to bed now. :lol:

villager said:
ok thats not the one i was thinking of, it was a white one i think, but someone got a v good deal there... if its not been messed with..

This one Mark?

is782101631721175.jpg

She is home with me, little bit of wear in the gold finish, routing shapes not messed with, an early 1978 narrow neck plate model. 8)
ST-A (E pups), V neck with lightly figured maple.
But she was messed with earlier in life with the past attachment of locking head nut, floyd rose... (screw holes) :cry: ..and 'aluminium foil' mostly removed, in the pup cavities, but, luckily NO routing shape changes...phew...:lol: :lol:...i think she was a bargain ST-100 Mary kaye for only 68,250 yen tcc gakki.

edit..ST-100 stamped in neck pocket, serial number stamped on neck butt and transferred onto neck pocket. 1 piece Japanese Ash etc.

greco_burst said:
But she was messed with earlier in life with the past attachment of locking head nut, floyd rose... (screw holes) :cry: ..and 'aluminium foil' mostly removed, in the pup cavities, but, luckily NO routing shape changes...phew...:lol:

Congrats! Nice price for that one. That shop has some gems from time to time and is a nice place to visit as they hold a lot of stock. The listing said that it had been routed roughly for a HB in the rear PU position so it is nice to hear that wasn't right.

Mpre pics would be great, it looks like it the body is in good condition.

Here some pics....interestingly the pups read...Bridge 5.6kOhms....middle 6.3kOhms...neck 6.12kOhms

TokaiST-100018.jpg

TokaiST-100017.jpg

TokaiST-100019.jpg

TokaiST-100012.jpg

TokaiST-100004.jpg

TokaiST-100002.jpg

here is a pic showing the different neck plate screws Tokai used...left to right...84 TST-60, 79 ST-42, 78 ST-100

TokaiST-100011.jpg

TokaiST-100003.jpg

greco_burst said:
Here some pics....interestingly the pups read...Bridge 5.6kOhms....middle 6.3kOhms...neck 6.12kOhms

That doesn't surprise me; on 40% of the Tokai & Greco LPs I have measured, although very close together in value, the neck has a higher value than the bridge. Burny's don't have this problem.
I don't have experience with Tokai strats apart the 1980 U pups I have here which measure: neck 6.25, middle 6.20 and bridge 6.31.

Latest posts

Back