Tokai ID Help!!!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found this from the 1982 catalog.

Covered pickup it says is the square windowed zebra which is the "LS Vintage MKII".

29ae2a422bb71810685e065d60b24f15.jpg

3e40df25fbc9d0e3c7758887803bff52.png

And I saw this.... for mdvineng...

Looks like the precursor to what was labeled the Tokai 57 PAF pickup a year later.

These pickups are also the first of many pickups I have seen called an "MKII" in the Tokai catalogs.

c4ca33e740097f0f475712286b74607f.jpg

015d45cb0a3f866599d02428b8b3f1cc.jpg

Yeah. I had some on a 1983 LS80 that were covered but were zebras and the previous owner removed the covers.

CA4608B7-25A0-453F-A88E-B0B8F6CC4080.jpeg

This is why I started that thread on humbuckers, to sort all of this out.

Obviously if two pickups have the same bobbins that doesn’t necessarily mean they have the same wind.

I was hoping other folks would chime in and share the resistance on their pickups but only one member shared theirs, so there’s a lot of unknown in my opinion.

I’m certainly no expert, but I was frustrated at the lack of information on stuff like that.

Does Peter list resistance in his book?

There were multiple pickups that had that sticker by the way. Probably a range of resistance. Would be nice to know.

The ones I had in the LS80 were ok. A bit thin and biased for my tastes (upper mid range as I recall) but good for some blues. I sold the guitar.

Last edited:
This is why I started that thread on humbuckers, to sort all of this out.

Obviously if two pickups have the same bobbins that doesn’t necessarily mean they have the same wind.

I was hoping other folks would chime in and share the resistance on their pickups but only one member shared theirs, so there’s a lot of unknown in my opinion.

I’m certainly no expert, but I was frustrated at the lack of information on stuff like that.

Does Peter list resistance in his book?

There were multiple pickups that had that sticker by the way. Probably a range of resistance. Would be nice to know.

The ones I had in the LS80 were ok. A bit thin and biased for my tastes (upper mid range as I recall) but good for some blues. I sold the guitar.
well im not pulling the covers!
but they measure in at 7.97 and 8.05
WAS 1982 the 1st year for the SG TSG-60 ?

It didn’t have the added T in 1982.

Just SG60 I believe.

Yours is the first one I think I’ve seen.

LC series 78<86 Hope these help and that Peter doesn't mind the pictures being uploaded, if so delete ASAP.
20230101_101356.jpg20230101_101426.jpg

Amazingly Magnificent!!!!

Thanks for all the Information!
I will be putting Her up for Sale but I dont know what its Worth?
Wow... If it sounds magnificent why would you sell it?

LOL. Common problem. Someone will be happy. That is a special early Tokai SG and well made. Was a budget guitar at the time, but pretty sweet by today's standards.

Last edited:
Back