Tokai 335

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys,

Peter - I don't think there are any marks (although I'll check tonight) so it probably didn't have one. Its such a good fit for the guitar that I'm sure it must be original.

Barry - I grew up just up the road from there, in Bushey, so I know Stanmore. Not sure when I'll be able to make it up there as I'm pretty busy at work (not that you'd know it from the amount of time I spend on this forum :smile: ), and I'm away this coming weekend so we'll have to see. Give me a mail at [email protected] and then we can arrange a time (without clogging up this forum :smile: )

Cheers

James

Peter,

Definitly no marks on the case where a plate could have been.
Found a new little bit of info though: in the neck pickup cavity '100 SB' is printed in red ink. Presumably this refers to the model number and the fact that its sunburst.
The pickup has no markings that I could see (although I only loosened the strings so couldn't get a detailed look) - would you expect it to have anything on it?
I have a problem too: one of the screws in the bridge pickup surround is badly burred on the head so can't be removed with a screwdriver. Any ideas how I could remove it? I don't really need to but am just curious to see if theres anything under there.

James

Introducing my guitars 'rocking' twin brother:

http://www.curio-city.com/originalg/6644/28115.html

Hi james
those screws are near impossible to get out once they are burred.I don't remember there being any other markings on the guitars but the pickups could have a sticker or two.
I spoke to Ned the other day and he will post most of the 1982 catalog some time this week so keep an eye out for it. The ES guitars are a 2 page spread ( I sent you p2 only)with the 1st page showing the "non-inlay" headstock.

regards
Peter

Hi Peter,

The only thing I thought of to do about the screw was to try and solder the screwdriver to it and hope that the connection was strong enough to loosen the screw when turned. Don't worry, I'm not going to attempt it though, as it sounds like a recipe for disaster :smile:, but I wonder if it would work? Its a shame because I wanted to see if there was anything in the cavity or on the pickup before I registered the guitar.

I'll look forward to the catalog being posted.

James

Hey James. It's Lee here who sold you the ES100J. Glad you're enjoying the plank so much.I have a bit of info to add here.

First, I'll set the record straight. It wasn't a REAL 59 burst, it was a lashed up 52 model with a stripey top that's all (it must have been all those Tokai pics that fuzzed your mind a bit James)although I have played a few over the years that were unfortunately other peoples.

Anyhow I'm happy to know the guitar James picked up was a little younger than we thought. It certainly is a minter. As James stated, I've had a few Tokais over the years, mostly Strats and Teles and several ES100J's. My surviving ES100J is a blonde bombshell from around 83'. The body is standard but has the fancy inlay on the headstock. Just out of interest this guitar is fitted with original Gibson late 50's and early 60's parts. Just about everything on it is from this period, so it's a bit special. They're just bits that I had lying around doing nothing so I shoved them on the Tokai. Before anyone asks, no I don't have the original parts. I shoved an ad in the LOOT ages ago so they got sold-on (cheap!)to other Tokai lovers for restoration purposes )a worthwhile cause).

Anyone else got a blonde ES100J out there? How many were made in blonde?

Lastly, about 12 years ago I had another sunburst ES100J. As these go, I don't think it was a particularly nice one (say about 84/85). Believe it or not, I had a real job selling it at the time and I finally let it go for ?150! basically cause I needed the money for a slab fingerboard 1960 Goldstar Strat. When I get round to it, I'll post some pics up for you all to have a look at. See ya guys.............

Hi Lee,
Good to see another long-time Tokai buff on board.
From memory, the blonde finish was difficult to get hold of. Nearly all of the TES's we received from Tokai in the 80's were Cherry Red or Sunburst.
The Goldstar sounds awesome too. The 1960 slab board would make it a TST60 or TST80 model, depending on the pickups and finish.
Can't wait to see the pics.
regards
Peter

Hi Lee,

Glad to see you signed up. Yeah, you're right about the pictures :smile: I remember now that it was the stripped Goldtop that had that amazing flame hidden away underneath that was yours.
Have you put your ES100J back together yet? - it was in bits when I saw it.

Hi Peter,

No, haven't met up with Barry yet. Hoping to finally get a flat sorted out in the next week or so, then I'll get the other Tokais and my amp out of storage - can't wait! By the way, I'm still a bit gutted about missing an old Tokai paisley tele last weekend. A local guitar dealer heard about it in another shop and tipped me off, but by the time I got there it had gone :sad:
Did you get that compressor from eBay?

Cheers guys,

James

Hi james
I did not get the Compressor pedal due to some inconsiderate ******* driving the price up to US$40.00 (AUS$85.00)
Oh well, just have to keep an eye out for another.
The weird thing is metal drives and phasers go for $15.00 but the compressor fetches top dollar.

regards Peter

James, yeah the ES100J is still in bits at the moment. As the story goes, I bought this guitar in 1988 from a guy who said 'If you ever want to sell it get back to me'. Now how many times have you heard that one? So about 3 years later I got back to him and he bought the guitar back off me.

In 1999 I saw an ad in LOOT for a blonde ES100J. So I ring the guy, ask him a few questions and set off to Chelsea to have a look. I write down the serial number of my old blonde guitar before I leave. You've guessed it, as soon as I slap eyes on his guitar, yup..same one.

Spooky! So Peter, I agree that the blonde ones must be pretty scarce. Could this be the only one in the southeast?

I'm gonna hang on to it this time Barry. I mean selling it and getting back out the blue...well. And that's happened to me twice now. The other guitar was an Ibanez Byrdland that I sold in 91' and got back this year after it had been around the country for the past 10 years. Again same guitar, out the blue.

Peter. The Strat was a TST80 I think. It was black with a 3 ply white plate and wide spacing on the 12th fret dots (1960 style). Can't remember what the P/U were.

Speaking of Strat's and Tele's, has anyone done the water with coffee, tea bags, vinegar, bisto etc. trick on the Tokai 'plastic parts' for that vintage stained look?. It sure looks good if you get it right. In fact very close to what Fender are putting on their Relic and Closet Strat's and Tele's now.

Hi Lee,
In 1986 I bought the first model of Seymour Duncan "Hot Rails" strat pickup for my TST80. The cover was a rough textured black plastic. Over the years the other white parts went that green colour - but the Hot rails stayed black. (Funny that???) In 1992 I bought some Liquid Paper in "Legal Green" and guess what - it matches. I applied it to the top of the pickup - being careful not to cover the metal blades - and unless you are 2 inches away, you can't tell it is coated. Cosmetics are everything.

regards
Peter

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Peter Mac on 2002-04-14 22:45 ]</font>

Peter. Never heard of that stuff before. As it's an adhesive, does it finally wear off with playing etc.?

Hi Lee,
You've never heard of Liquid Paper????
It is a correction fluid invented by Mike Nesmiths' mother (The Monkees).
It is paper pulp and alcohol, once applied the alcohol evaporates leaving the applied paper sheet to cover. It does wear off gradually and needs to be re-applied every 12-18 months or so. It is available in White but also some other colours were available for a while but are increasingly hard to find now.
regards
Peter

Peter. Never heard of that stuff before. As it's an adhesive, does it finally wear off with playing etc.?
[/quote]

Ahh cheers Barry. Now I'm with ya. I'll stick with the coffee and vineger thanks Peter. Tippex is extremely toxic anyway.

We digress

Back to the original topic. I'm going to have a go at posting some of my ES100J pics.

Now don't get too excited? :grin:

Latest posts

Back