Taking care of nitro finished Tokais (1978-1983)

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good evening everybody!

Just wanted to ask for the advice for polishing up/getting rid of (at least some) clouding on the vintage Tokai nitro finished LS-es (80 through 150) and similarly finished higher end Springies and Breezies.

The internet suggests, among other things, abrasive polishing with Carnauba wax-solutions, but I am not sure about going there yet.. So any suggestions/experiences/links to videos etc are highly appreciated.

Thanks!
I would test a little area on the back or sides with some polishing cloths. Starting at 3000. If it works O would work my way up to 4k, 6k 8k then 12k. I just wash my guitars with a kitchen sponge, water with a little bit of Dawn dish soap and dry immediately. Little sections at a time. Rosewood and Ebony Fretboards I use boiled Linseed oil. I am only 4 years into this hobby and haven't had any issues yet. Don't care for wax on my Guitars. Polishes and wax I use on my Truck and Jeep and hate doing it. But they are in the sun 12 hours a day. My guitars are never outside nor are they ever in front of a window with direct sunlight on them. But maybe I will try to relic one that way. Tokais poly is nothing like Gibsons or Fenders. It appears to be much more durable. Checking and such seems to be almost non existent on all the ones I have seen in person and on the web.

It's a beautiful guitar. I prefer this look over the heavily flamed ones. She has a lot of character. And the color is perfect. It looks like a Burst.
Absolutely, itā€™s by far the most burst-like in terms of colour of the Tokais I have (and the subtle flame, and the double whites etc).

And I love the feel of the nitro on the vintage Tokais, just pure class

Back