ST50 in original box - did you see this?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iainblack

Reaction score
Guys, apologies if this was already discussed. The story is like one of those classic found it in the attic ones, the photos are worth a look too.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=180306931080

Were any of you guys lucky enough towin this on ebay?

Here is the text:

I bought this guitar new over 20 years ago in the mid 1980.s played it for a couple of months and then it was put away in its original box untill just over a year ago.It is a Tokai ST 50 Goldstar Sound Tokai's take on a 1964 Fender Strat.I have had many Fender Strats over the last 20 years including Custom shop and Masterbuilt models.A freind of mine who has a large guitar collection had it from me in about 1988 and about a year ago he said Phil I still have your old Tokai Strat I have hardly played it over the years do you want it back.It had been in one of his cupboards in it original box all this time.Well on one of our get together jam sessions out came the Tokai,I was impressed with its build quality and the white finish had aged nicely but what did it play and sound like.It played great and looked the part but to my ears the pick ups sounded a little thin.I thought if I upgraded the pick ups this would be a great guitar.I have always liked the sound of "Lindy Fralin" pickups he makes some of the best sounding pups in the world,so I bought a matched set of vintage hot -5% underwound on the advice of Chandler Guitars of Kew.The -5% under wind gives the sound a bit more sparkle with a very 60,s sound to them.At the same time I repalced the cheap Jap pots with genuine CTS ones and a Fender USA 5 way switch.Again on the advice of Chandlers I changed the wiring so that the last tone pot becomes a series blend control so you can mix the bridge and neck pups to have more tonal variation,you still have the original sounds with the 5 way switch and tone pot on 10 but with tone pot on 0 position you get 1= neck 2=neck and middle 3=middle 4= bridge plus middle plus neck in seriers 5= bridge plus neck in series.So position 4 and 5 give less top and a louder fatter sound.All in all a very nice guitar in I would say 9.9 out of 10 condition.There are one or two tiny dings too small to show in the finish but overall this is a mint condition guitar.No fret wear and just a little natural ageing on the "final prospec" bridge saddles.Any questions please email or ring 020 8866 7770.Thanks for looking.

This sold on ebay on 24th Nov 2008 for ?443!!

Nice!

Fralin pickups too. One of these was almost my first ever Strat in 1985, but I bought a Fender JV series '57 reissue instead. It was dearer, at ?220, but it had the magic word on the headstock - Fender. When you're a teenager that's very important.

Happy days! :D

Yep, I recall the dilema - buy the Candy apple red with matching headstock (possibly with case) for 199 quid or the white squire strat, as you say with the magic word on the headstock for 189. I regret to this day. the Squire was god but all wrong for me, 70's headstock, micro tilt neck, played really well with a maple neck.

What interests me about that Goldie is that is has stayed white. Mine has gone more cream, like most of them do.

132_3262.jpg

My first Strat was a Goldie, in late 1983. I thought I was upgrading when I changed it for a Fender Japan Strat in 1987, but I now realise that the reason I preferred it is because the Fender had a rosewood board, while the Goldie was maple. If only I had known the difference in 1983, I would have bought a RW board Goldie - I still love them today.

Mike

stratman323 said:
What interests me about that Goldie is that is has stayed white. Mine has gone more cream, like most of them do.
Mike

His has been in the box under the bed (what a waste) yours will probably still be white behind the scratchplate.

stratman323 said:

132_3262.jpg

My first Strat was a Goldie, in late 1983. I thought I was upgrading when I changed it for a Fender Japan Strat in 1987, but I now realise that the reason I preferred it is because the Fender had a rosewood board, while the Goldie was maple. If only I had known the difference in 1983, I would have bought a RW board Goldie - I still love them today.

Mike

Gotta get me one of those.

I hate to disagree, but I think white with maple looks even better - the coolest guitar of them all. Shame I don't like the feel of maple. :lol: But this baby is appreciated.

I think there is an Olympic white that stays that colour and an off white. Bernie Torme has 2 1962 ones that i used to call polar white:

Berniestrats1.jpg

and here I am with his 1964 strat that Ozzy gave him for filling for Randy Rhoads after his death:

DSC02794.jpg

Is that refinished, or an original Fender Sparkle Blue, or whatever they called it?

we had this discussin before I think. The blue looks different in both photos but when I had a hold of it it is more like blue sparkle. The old photo looks like metallic blue. Bernie said that the guitar had been glued back together as it had split in two after drying out. It may have been resprayed but i did notice the lacquer had been eaten away by his sweat, as well as the low E saddle almost being worn away to the grub screw!

Just had a look at the 1987 catalogue and it shows the darker white as OW = off white! They also do an ice white for the super strat series.

So there was a mistake in the 1987 catalogue. So what SW colour stand for? Snow White? There is a goldstar on the tokai guitar forum that is this bright white colour.

Back