Sigma Les Paul Tokai

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

antonzman

Reaction score
Hi

I am looking for any info on a guitar I picked up used a couple of years ago. It is a Sigma Les Paul Copy that I suspect is a Tokai manufactor (Love Rocks?). I can not find a serial number on it anywhere. I can include some pics that might help. Any info would be very helpful.

AZ
Sigma
IMG_0333.jpg

neck
IMG_0334.jpg

body
IMG_0337.jpg

Those pickup surrounds are truely hideous..!!! :eek:
There is no way it was manufactured by Tokai.
I believe that Sigma and Cort were one and the same....or I might be thinking of a jock itch cream called Sigmacort...either way the only Sigma brand I ever heard of was when Martin Guitars began making a "MiJ" version of their guitars and they were all acoustic ...no solid body electrics.

Ozeshin said:
.either way the only Sigma brand I ever heard of was when Martin Guitars began making a "MiJ" version of their guitars and they were all acoustic ...

made by the Tokai factory, correct! :wink:

Any Gaban under a different name maybe and only for export?
There is a gap between 1967 when Humminbirds appeared on the market and 1978 when Reborns were released and I know Gaban was the Tokai related brand that fills.Tokai made Sigmas in early 70's because Martin/Tokai alliance in fact Mr. Adachi told me he was at Martin when young sent by his parent to learn when I met him(thanks again for the wonderful time dedicated to me Adachi-san).This is what today is called "joint venture" so figure how advanced was/is Tokai in bussiness methods as a firm.....

hummm, a Gaban you say? Thanks for the info. It looks like the search for this guitar background is getting more interesting. I keep tracking on that lead and will report back if I find out anything

Thanks for the lead

luis said:
Any Gaban under a different name maybe and only for export?
There is a gap between 1967 when Humminbirds appeared on the market and 1978 when Reborns were released and I know Gaban was the Tokai related brand that fills.Tokai made Sigmas in early 70's because Martin/Tokai alliance in fact Mr. Adachi told me he was at Martin when young sent by his parent to learn when I met him(thanks again for the wonderful time dedicated to me Adachi-san).This is what today is called "joint venture" so figure how advanced was/is Tokai in bussiness methods as a firm.....
I retract my earlier denial....the guitar IS a Japanese Martin...made by Tokai:(
Japanese Martins
Martin?s first era of flirtation with electrics ended with its GTs, and, in terms of American production, wouldn?t resume until a decade later. However, in 1970 Martin joined the growing list of American manufacturers to begin importing guitars made in Japan, introducing its Sigma series. In around 1973, Martin, like competitors Guild and Gibson, began importing a line of Sigma solidbody electrics made in Japan by Tokai.

Like virtually all Japanese-made guitars from that era, Martin Sigma solidbodies were basically copies of other American models. Martin Sigmas employed slightly different headstock designs, unlike many copies carrying Japanese brand names, but essentially these are similar to most other of these early copies.

In 1974 Martin Sigma electrics included two SGs, a Tele and a Fender bass. The SBG2-6 was pretty much a straightforward SG copy with a bolt-on neck, center-peaked three-and-three head, block inlays, large pickguard, twin humbuckers, finetune bridge, and stop tailpiece, in cherry. The SBG2-9 was pretty cool, with a natural-finished plywood body, white pickguard, rosewood fingerboard with white block inlays, gold hardware and Bigsby. The SBF2-6 was a Tele with rosewood fingerboard, three-and-three head, block inlays, neck humbucker and bridge single-coil. The SBB2-8 was the bass, with natural finished body, three-and-three head, rosewood ?board, block inlays, white ?guard, and two humbucking pickups.

Martin?s Sigma electrics fared hardly better than its own electric guitar designs of the ?60s. After little more than a year, the electrics were dropped from the Sigma line. The Japanese companies? own replicas, of course, did swimmingly well.

I'm guessing that Tokai skimped on quality materials for these guitars.
If the SG's were plywood you can pretty much bet that the LP is as well.

OMG :eek: ...Sif Mahogany..!!!
Look in the bridge pickup routing....you can plainly see the layers of ply :eek:
If by Mahogany you mean the same "mahogany" used in packing crates...then yes...it's mahogany.
:p
For comparison...Kaze's ex Tokai LS120(same year as my LS120) from an earlier post:
http://img131.imageshack.us/my.php?image=lscavmb6.jpg
The back of your guitar MAY be Mahogany but the top is all ply...sorry :-?

antonzman said:
Yes, it is not a solid piece of mahagony but the top layers are also mahogany not plywood.
Just so we're clear here...you Do know what "Plywood" is yeah?
Coz there is wood sandwiched in the top cap of your guitar that is NOT mahogany.
From Wikipedia:
Plywood was the first type of engineered wood to be invented. It is made from thin sheets of wood veneer, called plies or veneers. These are stacked together with the direction of each ply's grain differing from its neighbors' by 90? (cross-banding).[1] The plies are bonded under heat and pressure with strong adhesives, usually phenol formaldehyde resin,[2] making plywood a type of composite material. A common reason for using plywood instead of plain wood is its resistance to cracking, shrinkage, twisting/warping, and its general high degree of strength.
Also from Wikipedia:
Decorative plywood is usually faced with hardwood, including red oak, birch, maple, lauan (Philippine mahogany) and a large number of other hardwoods.
What this means is that your guitar has a 1/4 inch layer of Mahogany sheet on top for appearance sake and then has layers of some other type of softwood making up the ply.
My eyes work just fine and from those pics...you have a plywood body with a 1/4" laminate of Mahogany.
Sigma/Martin did not make any solid bodies that were'nt plywood....see my previous post in this thread from a collectors site that state that very fact.
The link between Tokai/Sigma is there...but it's tenuous at best.
None of the production standards that can be seen in Tokai are present in Sigma guitars.
I'm reluctant to say that it's crap...but it's nothing remotely like a Tokai...sorry M8

no worries...attitude derives from people asking a question about a guitar and then not liking/disagreeing with the response :eek:

Latest posts

Back