Shorter scale = higher action?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrews

Reaction score
Does a shorter scale (625 mm in this case) in general requires to have a higher action compared to a longer scale to avoid the fret buzz (assuming the frets are alright)?

Take it to a tech and get a setup. 5 cents isn't a big deal but fret buzz is. I'm always amazed at the difference a professional job can make, its well worth the cost.

Paladin2019 said:
Take it to a tech and get a setup. 5 cents isn't a big deal but fret buzz is. I'm always amazed at the difference a professional job can make, its well worth the cost.

+1 on that. It could be the relief in the neck (which may change depending on weather and humidity), bridge height, nut slots, etc or any combination of them. A proper setup is worth the money spent.

andrews said:
Does a shorter scale (625 mm in this case) in general requires to have a higher action compared to a longer scale to avoid the fret buzz (assuming the frets are alright)?

Why was your post so brutally edited? We may not have given you the answer to your original question, but the background info you gave clearly showed your were asking the *wrong* question.

To answer your question more specifically - no it doesn't, not if it's been set up by someone who knows what they're doing.

te="Paladin2019"]Why was your post so brutally edited? We may not have given you the answer to your original question, but the background info you gave clearly showed your were asking the *wrong* question.

To answer your question more specifically - no it doesn't, not if it's been set up by someone who knows what they're doing.

The question about the scale length was both theoretical (just to know, could be useful choosing a guitar in the future) and practical (related to the problem I had). Let's forget about the problem I mentioned (I should not have mentioned it here) - I only need to know whether the scale length has anything to do with a required action. The way I understand it, the shorter the scale, the more loose are the strings tuned to the same tuning. That means they vibrate stronger, and the way I understand it, a higher action is required then (or a higher tuning, which would cause a higher tension and less vibration).[/quote]

I don't have the maths to hand but you're not far out. For this reason most people string up 24.75" guitars one gauge higher than they would a 25.5", ie if you use 9s on a fender you would use 10s on a Gibson.

Back