Tokai E-EX73 BB arrived, finally!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smallfloor

Reaction score
It seems that the customs officials in my country like to inspect the shipments in detail, even those delivered by courier services - namely, the guitar arrived in 4 days, but the customs officials kept the guitar for two weeks! A shame. So it's a satin black E-EX73 BB, based on the serial number I'd say it was manufactured, maybe completely finished in China, but the finish is very good compared to many Chinese Chibsons. The neck is straight, the frets are finely machined, the stock PU is slightly hotter than the PAF and the hybrid marshall frets sound solid like a bear. Some shy squeals and whines are managed, but they still cannot be compared to the PU from the Gibson Explorer. The guitar has the same mass as its original, the sound is warmer and softer, of course. What bothers me is the really stupid choice of "gold" hardware that feels cheap and overly flashy, although I think it will start to peel off over time. I intend to replace that with complete black hardware, as well as the entire electronics. The pots turn easily, i.e. too easily, and it seems that they are not of a certain quality, but they perform their function, the 3-way switch behaves well. The factory strings "ring" when unplugged and have to be replaced, and the action is a little higher than I would really like.
Yes, the headstock of this Tokai and the Gibson Explorer '06 are not the same, in shape or dimensions, but they are similar at first glance to the untrained eye and the dim light. The pickguard is absolutely not the same, only in appearance, but neither the shape nor the arrangement of the screws is even close to Gibson's, so the possibility of ordering a PG for the Explorer and switching to a Tokai is lost, which is completely irrelevant...
Next week I change the strings to EBall 10-46 or D'Addario, and then I go "on the hunt" for a set with black hardware, and an EMG set (81 & 85 or 81 & 60). And I think that would be "the right one". After that, my Tokai should become an everyday guitar for metal and then some.
mytokai_.jpg_tokai_gibson_necks.jpg_tokai_gibson_hstocks.jpg

Back