Rockoon/Kawai Bass

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redsfan73

Reaction score
I am trying to find out some information about a bass that I bought at a Japanese "shrine" sale the other day. I have searched all over and can't find out any info on it. The bass is a Les Paul style, active bass using one 9 volt battery. The head stock says "Rockoon" and "Produced by Kawai". The words aren't inlaid into the guitar, but look like they are printed and then covered by the clear coat. It's solid white with black binding. It's a four string, two gold tuners on each side. I think the tuners have "Goton" or maybe "Gotoh" written on them. It has two pick-ups. The one closest to the neck is mounted at an angle. The bridge is mounted by three bolts, and sits up off the front of the bass on ledges that are part of the bolts. The bridge is gold and has "Made in Japan" stamped on the underside. There is a toggle switch on the top of the body near the neck. Three adjustment knobs are on the bottom of the body and the plug is on the edge of the body. I'd post a picture, but don't have any with me right now. Any information would be appreciated.

The local Kawai shop used to sell guitars but they only sell pianos now...over a decade ago they had a big sale and whatever was left went to the store in Morioka. If there is a Kawai shop near you, ask them. I`m sure if they had catalogues I have some...but I used to see the Rockoons all the time in their store...they often used Schaller good quality hardware on them. The Rockoons were not cheaply made ... they show up on line in Japan. Not really sure what info you`re after...and I don`t know where you are located.

Thanks for the reply. I live in Yokosuka. I was just wondering if it was an entry level bass or maybe something nicer. I know it's probably hard to tell without pictures. I'll try to get some posted soon. How would it compare to a Hard Puncher as far as quality goes?

Mine looks like this one, except it's white.

http://www.gilabass.com/in_stock/read/118/kawai-rockoon80-bass

The Rockoons I used to see where not high end priced though they looked very well made. They show up used quite a bit around these parts...you could send Kawai an e-mail and ask if they have any shops left that sell guitars then get in touch with them.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/78038174@N02/7005994944/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/78038174@N02/7152083125/

Here are a couple of pics

It looks nice, if it plays and sounds good then it is good. Lots of guys seem to be after the " rare birds ", I guess this one could fit into that category. Watch Yahoo Japan and see if any turn up there you may be able to glean some info from sellers.

I was just looking for a second bass (my other is a Tokai violin bass) and this one was cheap (3500 yen/45USD) and it looked cool. I knew it would need some TLC, and I figured this was a good way to learn some of the basics of guitar repair/restoration. I bought some Rotosound Tru Bass strings for it, so when they come in I'll start tearing it down and see what I can do for it.

Latest posts

Back