Reliable dating system for Tokai ?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PAGray

Reaction score
<p>Hi all - perhaps I have missed this elsewhere on the excellent site..

<p> Is there a relible serial number dating system for Tokai basses ?

<p> Am considering selling my much loved Tokai Fretless Jazz as its just not getting the play it derserves, and don't want to commence trying to sell it without the full facts.

<p> I have always believed it to be a 1982 model, but this is going purely on what I know of its history.

<p> Its a 'jaco' copy - sunburst, no pickguard, and the neck is lined with dot markers - but to me it looks like a factory fretless that has been marked in this way rather than defretted. The serial number is 1015133.

<p> Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers, Graham

Hi Graham,

Tokai did do a 'Jaco' replica and the lines and markers are all correct as per your description.

So, IMO you have a JB85 YSR-FL from 1981. Body is alder, maple neck with fretless rosewood board done with a slab board '60 style. New in 1981 it would have cost 85,000yen. It was offered in 3-tone sunburst only and never had a scratchplate.
By 1984 it had fallen to 70,000yen, still only available in 1 colour and its model was JB70-J

These are a nice guitar so good luck with your sale

regards
Peter Mac

Hi Peter,

Many thanks for the info mate - sounds exactly like the bass I have, with the board profile etc.

Cheers

Graham

Hi.

Am still not completely definate that I am going to sell the bass at all yet - as it has some sentimental value (was my only bass for many years, and therefore lots of good gig memories etc).

It all rather depends what kind of money I am looking at for it - I'm not so desperate to move it on that I'm going to let it go for no money, for example - which rules out ebay a bit for me. Also, I'd rather it went to someone who is going to look after it - daft I know with a piece of wood, but as I say..sentimetal attachment.

The only thing that has spurred me into considering shifting it is that I have taken delivery of an Ibanez Musician Fretless (which was the bass I was lusting after when I brought the Tokai in the first place) and am having to gear up amp wise for a new project, with no free cash !

So, if the right offer comes along from any source I will consider it - for example might do a direct swap for one of those nice new Mark Bass Mini 450 II heads etc..

Any interested parties feel free to drop me an email [email protected]

Cheers

Graham

I'd say keep it. I'd venture to say that someday you might become of the opinion that it's a superior instrument to your Ibanez. I say wait til the "new" wears off the ibanez then make your choice...

Hi Brad,

Yeah, thats what I'm worried about - they're very differant instruments though. The Tokai to my ears always sounded and feels very authentically 'Jazz Bass' like with nice slim neck profile etc...whilst the Musician just has that extra bit of muscle that cuts thru..

Anyway, thanks for all the help on identifying the instrument guys

Cheers

Graham [/img]

Just for interest value will attempt to put some pictures up here !

Not great I'm afraid, it looks considerably better in the flesh..

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f192/PAGRAY/tokaifull.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f192/PAGRAY/tokaihead.jpg

Was just thinking the same thing having looked at some of the Strat headstocks in the dating section..was this logo 1983 only ?

as far as I know, roughly yes (probably some overlap). Don't know for certain though. There are always exceptions.

Back