pr50

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pr50yellow

Reaction score
Hello folks, I'm new here and would like to know if anybody has tested the tokai pr50 and what difference there is between pr50 and pr55. I'd like to know if the sound of this guitar can be compared in any ways with the real prs. I had a prs custom 24 which was wonderful, great sustain, great sound and very versatile. I would like to know if you can play this guitar even live or it is like a toy. From the pictures it looks really good but Idon'tknow the sound and the overall quality of this instrument.
thanks to anyone who can give me some advice and or impression.

thanks to all
maurizio

Sorry, don't know many details, but the Tokai PRS lookalikes are low priced Korean models, I'm assuming about the same standard as the LS48's as they are about the same price.

They are good value for money, and definetely giggable, but don't expect it to compete with a real PRS, probably similar to the PRS SE's. If I wanted a PRS copy, I would get an SE rather than a Tokai, I played an SE Tremonti edition and for the money couldn't fault it.

i'm curious about the sound of this axe cause the main difference with a prs/lespaul is the wood of the body. It is made in alder instead of mahogany. I don't expect the pick ups to be any good but hope that with only a change of them the guitar can sound pretty good.
The prs se custom cost much much more money, but I played a pair of them and they sound good (the look is not comparable with a custom 24 prs).

So to have a good tokai ls what is the minimum price to pay and which model in your opinion?

It's difficult to say. I'm in a lucky position now where I can afford quite a few nice guitars so I wouldn't think of buying a Korean LS, that's not to say they aren't great value for money!

I know I would be very happy gigging with a LS85F, but it really depends on what you can afford, there's no reason why any of the Korean Tokai's couldn't be gigged.

JohnA said:
Sorry, don't know many details, but the Tokai PRS lookalikes are low priced Korean models, I'm assuming about the same standard as the LS48's as they are about the same price.

They are good value for money, and definetely giggable, but don't expect it to compete with a real PRS, probably similar to the PRS SE's. If I wanted a PRS copy, I would get an SE rather than a Tokai, I played an SE Tremonti edition and for the money couldn't fault it.
I played a Tremonti SE as well..and I was impressed also. :p

My mate and sometime guitar teacher gigs regularly with the Korean Tokai LR LS48 he bought from me. He doesn't want to take his Gibson LP on the road too often, & his Burny LP is much heavier than the Tokai, so he uses the Tokai.

So even the cheaper models are perfectly useable and fit for playing at gigs.

Mike

I think you will find that there are Japan made PR's there is the PR80 and the PR95. They sell for ?899 and ?999 respectively. Hope this helps.
Pete.

Max The Dog said:
I think you will find that there are Japan made PR's there is the PR80 and the PR95. They sell for ?899 and ?999 respectively. Hope this helps.
Pete.

I didn't know that! Thanks Pete :D

I have a Made in Japan Tokai PRS copy, still not exactly sure what model it is.

trio.jpg

Max The Dog said:
Pete.

do you know where you can find these models? i tried in ebay but no way.

pr50yellow said:
Max The Dog said:
Pete.

do you know where you can find these models? i tried in ebay but no way.

Try dropping Richtone an email, or forum member Togps, I'm sure one of them will be able to sort you out.

Anyway tomorrow I will receive the guitar and after playing it for a bit I try to write a detailed review that can be useful for other people interested in the tokai pr model.

Well, I would say it is comparing apples with pears, but since I own both guitars (a Korean Tokai PR52 and an USA PRS McCarty Korina) here are my points for what it's worth:

Quality, workmanship PR52: 8
Quality, workmanship PRS: 9,5
PlayabilityPR52: 8 (flat fretboard)
Playability PRS: 8,5 (rounded fretboard, action not fully to my likings but I have not adjusted it yet)
Looks, vibe PR52: 8
Looks, vibe PRS: 10
Sound possibilities PR52: 7
Sound possibilities PRS: 9 (coil tap)
Sound quality PR52: 8; Very good distorted sounds, especially on the bridge pickup which rocks like hell.
Sound quality PRS: 7; The sound has good body and the notes are clear and certainly not blurry and they have good definition, but at the same time the guitar sounds a little uninvolving and misses character and bite, my Japanese Tokais sound much better and also have better playability. If you want a lot of sound possibilities by only using one guitar the PRS might be your thing. The single coil sounds are 80% Fender, eh excuse me, 75% Breezy sound or Goldstar, but I rather would use one of those when I need that sound.
Value for money PR52: 9
Value for money PRS: 8

Cheers Herbert

so there is not much difference between the real prs and the pr52, i hope this is so cause i payed it only 250 euro instead of 2.300 euro for the prs custom24.

As you know with guitars, small things can make a big difference :D and it can work both ways :wink:

Chinese PR model ranges go like this:

PR48 is hardtail
PR50 is flame top and trem
PR52 is quilt top and trem

All about ?300 ish, or a bit less

Latest posts

Back