NGD EG500B

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muddy

Reaction score
Hi all first timer here.

Just got this today - bought it online for $180NZ, or about $130US. Wasn't sure what model it was from the pics the seller uploaded ( although I guessed a eg500) but I didn't wait around before I hit the "buy it now" button! Sure enough it was a 1980 eg500 in good nick - all functional except for the toggle although a good squirt of contact cleaner seems to have worked. Once I took the old (old? I think they were the same as when it left the factory) strings off, I had to check under the hood and it's a solid mahogany/maple model and best yet - it even came with what looks to be the original gig bag!

Picture004.jpg

115900810_full.jpg

Picture007.jpg

Haven't had a good play on it yet, but so far I'm impressed with how clear it sounds for an LP style guitar. Seems to be a good score.

Cheers! I've spent a bit of time setting it up, especially with the pickups which obviously weren't that great on this particular model - no DRY Z's here! Low output (7.6 and 7.73 from memory and I generally prefer HB's around that range) but lacking a bit of clarity. After raising the polepieces and disconnecting the tone pot from the neck pickup, it's come to life quite nicely. I may even convert the old neck tone pot into a variable phase control for some "Greeny" tones. :p

Just swap out your caps 1st and foremost. I find the best caps which bring some brightness and life to these Japanese pups are those in a range from 3300pF, 4700pF, & 6800pF. The most common are the .022uF but I find those REALLY made the tone dark and often muddy. Voltage plays no part in caps and you will find no tonal difference regarding voltage so ignore that. Just try those pF ranges and see if you like what you hear :D

That's gotta be the score of the century so far mate! Can't believe that I didn't see it on Tradme, or I would have been all over it like a rash. Looks to be in pretty good condition and the gig bag does indeed look like the original.

$NZ180... how'd I miss that... :(

Yeah it wasn't on trademe for very long! :wink: It's in really good condition especially for it's age. I will try Udonitron's suggestion for the tone caps. In the meantime I've settled on the 50's wiring which seems to work well. The more I play it the more I like it, which is a good sign.

hi ?
i got 3 egc ... 2 in black and one in tobbaco burst ... all from 82 ... serial 2 xxxx ,,,, i think they are egc 500 ,,,, but one off them came with dry82 .. and nickel hardware :D so not sure what to think about that one
all has 3 piece top ,,,,, they have body made from 2 to 4 pieces ....
and the one i like the best is only 3.4 kg :D :D
very very good guitars ,,,,,
i think you will be happy with it ,,
all the best
otto

Latest posts

Back