New pickups for Tokai ES-120 (Gibson 335 copy)

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lefty Blues

Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking for new pickups for my Tokai ES-120. Although the clean sounds are not too bad, I am not very happy about the overdriven sound of the pickups.

I am thinking about Seymour Duncan SH-55 Seth Lovers because of their appraised clarity and smoothness. These characteristics seem to fit my musical styles rock and blues rock very well. Nevertheless, I am a little bit afraid that these pups could sound muddy in a 335 and squeal, because they are not wax potted.

Has anybody an opinion about the Seth Lovers or a better recommendation? Thanks a lot!

Seth Lovers are my aftermarket pickup of choice. I have a set in an Orville SG and in a Greco Super Real Collection ES 175

In the hollow body, they don't sound muddy at all - nice and lively but buttery smooth when you roll the tone down. On an ES175 being big, thick and completely hollow, pickups will howl like hell regardless what you have in them - I just try not to turn toward the amp too much and keep the palm of my picking hand hovering right above the strings so that I can damp them when I can feel the body cavity start to vibrate.

But on a semi hollow 335, I don't know how much of a squeal factor you'll have with the center block.

marcusnieman said:
Seth Lovers are my aftermarket pickup of choice. I have a set in an Orville SG and in a Greco Super Real Collection ES 175

In the hollow body, they don't sound muddy at all - nice and lively but buttery smooth when you roll the tone down. On an ES175 being big, thick and completely hollow, pickups will howl like hell regardless what you have in them - I just try not to turn toward the amp too much and keep the palm of my picking hand hovering right above the strings so that I can damp them when I can feel the body cavity start to vibrate.

But on a semi hollow 335, I don't know how much of a squeal factor you'll have with the center block.

Marcus, that sound great and makes me really happy. Thanks a lot!

leadguitar_323 said:
Have a look at these, hand made and great price. Read the whole page :D

http://www.highorderpickups.com/

Oh well, these soundfiles are really impressive and convincing. Thank you very much indeed!

I bought a matched set from SD and they are for my ES 155 nat. the set includes a SH-1N and SH1B Model 59 humbuckers. I just have to install them.....

Mark

Back