Questions about some ES Tokai models

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElLladre

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

First of all I want to apologize in advance for my so-so english, I’m from Barcelona. For a long time I’ve been an admirer of the ES style guitars and now I’ve decided to go for one. I’ve been watching at the japanese copies (especially Greco’s and Tokai’s) and I got a bit confused by the models, years, prices… And that’s why I’m here, just to see if someone can shed a bit of light.

In my quest for finding a nice (and affordable) 335 copy I’ve found 2 Tokai’s near me. One is a UES-135 and the other one is a UES-138. The thing is, they both have 122xxxx serial numbers so, from what I’ve read so far they are from the year 2012, am I right? And what confuses me is the close model number (but not the same) being same year of manufacture. Am I missing something? Anyone know the difference between the two models? Are they supposed to be like equivalent or there’s a superior one in terms of quality? Also, what would be the equivalent model as today, the ES-180?

They’re asking 1000€ for the UES-138 and 1500€ for the UES-135. The last one has a few mods, Lollar Peter Green pickups and grover tuning machines. The two of them are in good shape. Are these fair prices?

Also, I’ve seen a Greco Clear Sound SA-75 from 1990, all original and in good shape. How would that one compare to the Tokai’s. Is this one a better guitar. They’re asking 1500€ for it.

Thank you very much!

Hola, qué quieres que te digan? Buy the one that "speaks" to you and do not guided by an asked price.

I guess you would be conviced by yourself, not by us. Try to play both and make your chance.

Back