LS100 Gallery

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you mean this finish?

Screen Shot 2024-01-18 at 6.47.46 AM.png

My '79 LS80 has that sort of murky finish that obscures the grain.

I wonder if the back of that guitar was re-finished?

Is that edge different than the back face of the headstock?

Yes that's right - a murky brown color in just that one spot. I suppose its possible the entire back was refinished when the headstock was repaired and refinished, but you'd think if they were going to that trouble, why not do the murky spot as well ? The rest of the guitar doesn't look refinished - and has the expected bumps and scrapes of a 40 plus year old guitar so its a bit of a mystery. It did come with the purple lined Lifton style case, if that helps dating it - not that it matters much. Reborn Old tells us the period it was made.

Purple lined Lifton case is Gibson of course.

Pretty common to finish to an edge. That part wouldn't surprise. me. Transitions are harder to see if they happen at changes in planes or edges.

If you’re curious, try a bright LED light and go across it looking for transitions.

It doesn’t matter other than unwinding the mystery of what they did when they repaired it.

Nice guitar. Enjoy.

Last edited:
Definitely enjoying it - seems to have a barky midrange that my other Tokais don't have. It could be the Dimarzios but even unplugged there is something going on with the D and G strings that somehow sound a little louder than on my other LPs. Not a resonance so much as volume. And nothing much different with the strings I installed - Hybrid Slinkys which I use mostly ( or Primos ). Very interesting guitar. A friend of mine who has had many guitars pass through his hands picked it up and said it has the feel of an old baseball glove that has been broken in - meant as a compliment of course.

Yep. I didn’t even read it.

Sellers are often wrong, and I normally don’t even read their descriptions. I tend to just scan for specific information.

I’ll delete that since it’s misleading.

Last edited:

Attachments

• s-l1600-1.jpg
    s-l1600-1.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 0
  • s-l1600-3.jpg
    s-l1600-3.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 0
  • s-l1600-4.jpg
    s-l1600-4.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 0