Help me ID this Goldstar Sound please

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andygat

Reaction score
Hi All

First post here for me. Be gentle :)

I've been given custody of this Goldstar Sound. Could you fine folk help me ID an age and model number please?

It's been hacked about a bit... Bridge and neck plate are some heavy brass type, the body cavity has been cut up to fit a humbucker in the bridge at some point, there may have been a preamp installed (extra hole in the pick guard), and the bottom tone pot has been modded for a push/pull type pickup configuration

I think the tuners, pickups, volume and tone 1 pots are original? It does have a tweed case (that wasn't passed onto me).

The finish looks like a very thin Poly (to me) but there is wear as I'd see normally with Nitro?

I've still to discuss, with the owner, how much I can do to the guitar but I'd like to refurbish it as much as possible and get it gigging again. Planning on using Gotoh relic hardware/parts to do so. Good idea? Better suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Andy

1. Front.JPG2. Back.JPG3. Headstock Front.JPG4. Headstock Back.JPG5. Heel.JPG6. Control Pocket 1.JPG7. Control Pocket 2.JPG8. Pocket.JPG9. Pots.JPG10. Pickups.JPG

Hmmmm. From what I can see the neck plate was replaced and this one doesn’t have a serial number. That always raises an alarm for me.

The neck and body likely left the factory together. So it’s probably not a partscaster.

E pickups came in a TST60. Not an 80 because no A stamp and not a slab board. So poly finish.

Hard to date it without the serial number. From what I can see, it looks like the slogan on the headstock decal is the quality musical instruments of the world one. That and that stamped code means it was made between December 1983 and December 1985 I would say.

Gidday Sigmania

My gut would tell me that it's not a partsacaster and it's legit. I think the bridge and neck plate were probably switched out at the same time it was routed out inside for the back pickup. Maybe they thought they'd get more sustain/tone from the brass?

Thanks for the other information!

Back