help with model number and dating of Goldstar Sound (I think!?)

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

It's been a long while since I've called on your collective expertise but I'm back, and with a question about a guitar I picked up today for my daughter's birthday.....

I don't have it in my possession yet so I'm having to rely on third-party photos, which are terrible - but at least they are of the guitar in question.

From the registry pics, the guitar looks to be a Goldstar Sound from 1984. Does that look right? I would really appreciate any and all help with dating/ID'ing this guitar.

Thanks very much in advance.

Attachments

• 1100215977.jpg
    1100215977.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 1100215983.jpg
    1100215983.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 0
That’s about right. 1984. Once you get it check the pots and production codes. That will help narrow it down.

TST40 had ceramic pickups and trap tuners. Entry level guitar but well made.

And looks like it’s probably the original tweed case which is awesome.

Actually, just seen that the machine heads aren't the split ones - not sure if that means that it's something entirely different (and much more recent).

That’s about right. 1984. Once you get it check the pots and production codes. That will help narrow it down.

TST40 had ceramic pickups and trap tuners. Entry level guitar but well made.
Thanks for the super-rapid feedback. Truth is it was an impulse buy so probably should have done some sleuthing before pulling the trigger. But I know my girl will be happy with it. I'll post a couple more pics when I get it (tomorrow).

Nice to see one with the original case!

I've got a 1987 TST40 and I replaced the pickups. That guitar sounds great. The original pickups are ok but not the best, all relative to what you're used to I suppose. Things may have been replaced over the years so best see what you've got when you get it.

Latest posts

Back