Guitar as she

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Outsider

Reaction score
Am I the only one who thinks it's a bit odd to call one's guitars "she"? I know the sailors used to call their ships "she", but does it really work with guitars? I mean, you almost have to use the expression "I want to buy her". Hmm. I'm not really a feminist but still it sounds weird to me. And are guitars really feminine? Many are beatiful of course, but are they really the same thing? With a nice guitar you don't get what you get with a nice girl, for the better and the worse of course. Swiss Tony comes to mind: "Playing a Vintage Tokai Reborn/Springy Sound is a lot like making love to a beautiful woman..."

I like my guitars just as much as the sailors like their ships, but still... she? "It" would do if you ask me! Or is it just maternal thing? "My Breezy has always been like a mother to me!"

Outsider said:
Swiss Tony comes to mind: "Playing a Vintage Tokai Reborn/Springy Sound is a lot like making love to a beautiful woman..."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I cracked up when I read that! Great stuff. Hmmm, interesting point - I tend to use the "she" term sometimes, but only with one or two favourite guitars - the rest are "it". I can't explain the logic behind it, but it's a term of affection.

Rupert is the worst offender on here - and he seems to refer to all the members of his harem as "she", so blame him!

But it's commonly done with all kinds of other machines too. A steam locomotive is always "she" (even if it has a masculine name), but the same doesn't seem to apply to diesels or electrics. A ship is a "she", but a plane generally isn't. Some people refer to their cars as "she", but I have a female friend who has named her Fiat Panda "Wayne", so is that a kind of reverse sexism?

:eek:

Mike

Additional thought - "she" works best for Strats. What could be more graceful and feminine than the curves of a Strat?

Never seen that, but I think Jimmie & Stevie Ray Vaughan cornered the market with 50s style ladies on the backs of their respective white Strats. :p

Even my favourite guitars are 'it's' I think 'she' sounds a bit daft really, Rupert & Togps go one step furthur and refer to a group of guitars as 'Ladies' Each to their own I suppose

JohnA said:
Even my favourite guitars are 'it's' I think 'she' sounds a bit daft really, Rupert & Togps go one step furthur and refer to a group of guitars as 'Ladies' Each to their own I suppose

I talk dirty to mine :wink:

marcusnieman said:
JohnA said:

I talk dirty to mine :wink:

Freak :D

post from stratman323 in another thread:

Hi Rup, I'm intrigued by your black ST100 (though I wouldn't want to buy her as I'm not keen on black guitars). What are those extra holes on the headstock for? She can hardly be a virgin with those.....

Oh dear :roll:

Well I was talking to Rupert, & he calls his guitars "she". I am merely respecting his customs. If he says something is a lady (or a virgin :eek: ), who am I to disagree?

oh did not want to read the whole thread but I love all ma bitches
and she is good enough :lol:

I've also written about my 'Love for an Old Lady' - I've meant my Tokai LS150 ... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think that the curves of a Les Paul remind me of a well proportioned female body ...
So - let us have our dreams, guys ... I'm an old blog, you know ... old dogs like me use to have the biggest bone in their mouth ... :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Didn't you know that ???? :wink:

Just wait until you'll be as old as I am now ... 8)

Roger

Latest posts

Back