Fender Japan ?54 Reissue Limited Edition Stratocaster

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andersozzy

Reaction score
Fender Japan ?54 Reissue Limited Edition Stratocaster. This is 1 of the only 30 Fender Japan made.

Bought this guitar and it is a really good and beutifull one, but I can?t find any info. on the net though, anyone that are familiar with these guitars?

Specs:

Finish: 2-Tone Sunburst Matte
Body: Ash
Neck: Maple
Neck shape: Chunky soft V
Nut width: 42,3mm
Fretboard: Maple
Pickups: Fender Custom Shop Texas Specials
Weight: 8lbs, 3oz.
Year: c2006, serial begins with: R04XXXX

According to the seller, the difference between this and the regular Fender Japan ?54 Reissue would be:

Special matte finish on the body
Satin finish on the neck
Select 2-piece Ash body instead of 2 or 3 on the Regular ?54
Texas special pickups instead of Fender 50?s
CRL or Switchchraft switch
Belden wiring
Orange drop cap
CTS pots

54b.jpg
Annons.jpg

3-1.jpg
4-1.jpg

2-1.jpg
5.jpg

1-1.jpg

Anders

Anders, you must forgive sneaky; he's just like that, pent up & all :lol:

Does the guitar have a # designation anywhere, like on the neck plate; such as # xx of 30?

I am surprised to see that there is no model number listed, in the seller's listing

they were listed on web sites as being limited to 30 made if I remember correctly, so he`s correct with that number.
Not gonna reply to the cheap shot.

there was one hanging in the local Rock Inn and I thought it was real nice but I wasn`t willing to pay the asking price....maybe I`ll get lucky and see it used...there aren`t many places in this city that sell used gear. If it does come up it`ll be for less than half the retail price and thats when I buy it. It really looks a lot like my Ikebe `54 and the custom edition I got earlier this year, except for the matte finish. When Fender Japan puts their mind to it, they can make some outstanding guitars.

anders...if you`re looking for a limited number tele to go with that strat...heres something thats appears to be new...again, limited to 30 built...and priced around the same as your strat originally and thats why I decided not to buy...

http://www.j-guitar.com/sp/sea/view_detail/s10521269.html

sneakyjapan said:
there was one hanging in the local Rock Inn and I thought it was real nice but I wasn`t willing to pay the asking price....maybe I`ll get lucky and see it used...there aren`t many places in this city that sell used gear. If it does come up it`ll be for less than half the retail price and thats when I buy it. It really looks a lot like my Ikebe `54 and the custom edition I got earlier this year, except for the matte finish. When Fender Japan puts their mind to it, they can make some outstanding guitars.

Do you remember what the asking price was?

Anders

MIJvintage said:
Anders, you must forgive sneaky; he's just like that, pent up & all :lol:

Does the guitar have a # designation anywhere, like on the neck plate; such as # xx of 30?

I am surprised to see that there is no model number listed, in the seller's listing

I can?t see any number anywhere on the guitar, I am also surprised that there is no model number, would be very interesting to know what model number it is.

Anders

it was in the 100,000 yen range...similar to the tele link I posted. You would probably find model number in the neck pocket, and perhaps other markings...may be a number indicating what number of thirty yours is...I have seen that before.
Two of the three `54 type FJ strats I own have hard V necks, the `54-128 is less so.
Look for stuff like this...based on a 1954 and sold for 128,ooo yen.

newyears2007165.jpg

or this...

DSCN0362.jpg

DSCN0369.jpg

Now I have take apart my guitar and took these pictures to show you how it looks under it all. Still no model number :(

Could the number 6, that shows in the pickup cavity mean that it is number 6 of 30?

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a347/andersozzy/t4.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a347/andersozzy/t3.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a347/andersozzy/t5.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a347/andersozzy/t6.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a347/andersozzy/t7.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a347/andersozzy/t8.jpg

Anders

not sure but the numbered FJs I`ve seen have something like....6/30 on a small piece of paper but I can`t say for sure they are all the same. I do see there are other stamps...numbers, letters?... in the neck pocket that are very faint...somebody didn`t take enough care with rubber stamp during the manufacturing process.
As for the model number...it appears there isn`t one that I can see...it is called a `54 LTD...that may be what the company named the guitar, using the serial number it is possible that there was only one limited run of that particular type of strat made in 2006 but it is also possible there was more info on the tags and cards that came with the guitar originally...you may have to settle for the little data that is available right now...i will keep my eyes open on the Japanese web and the next time one comes up for sale...and I have seen them... I`ll add any additional info a seller might put up. Regardless...you are now a member of a very limited group of 30. You know...the main rule of Fender Japan that I`ve learned is...there seems to be no rules...anything is possible.
Hope the guitar will bring you as much pleasure as my fine FJs have brought me.

sneakyjapan said:
not sure but the numbered FJs I`ve seen have something like....6/30 on a small piece of paper but I can`t say for sure they are all the same. I do see there are other stamps...numbers, letters?... in the neck pocket that are very faint...somebody didn`t take enough care with rubber stamp during the manufacturing process.
As for the model number...it appears there isn`t one that I can see...it is called a `54 LTD...that may be what the company named the guitar, using the serial number it is possible that there was only one limited run of that particular type of strat made in 2006 but it is also possible there was more info on the tags and cards that came with the guitar originally...you may have to settle for the little data that is available right now...i will keep my eyes open on the Japanese web and the next time one comes up for sale...and I have seen them... I`ll add any additional info a seller might put up. Regardless...you are now a member of a very limited group of 30. You know...the main rule of Fender Japan that I`ve learned is...there seems to be no rules...anything is possible.
Hope the guitar will bring you as much pleasure as my fine FJs have brought me.

Yes, it?s a pity tht the guy/girl that stamped the neckpocket wasn?t more
careful when it was stamped, maybe it has solved the mystery :)
Like you wrote, I have to settle with the info. that I got for now and wait untill some more comes up. Really appreciate the effort you and the other guys have done so far, thank you!!! and it is very kind of you to keep an eye on the Jap. web for me.

I shall take a chance and write to Fender Japan and ask them about my guitar, keep my finger crossed :D

Kindly,
Anders

no trouble at all because I watch the web over here every day anyways so I`ll just post a link if I see one like yours.
Fender Japan might help you, at least they spoke to me when I got my Buck Owens tele a few years ago...I wanted to know how many were made but they said that info was not public so I guessed and got them to give me a ballpark figure, so if you send them a mail with pics, they may tell you what you want to know.
good luck.

sneakyjapan said:
no trouble at all because I watch the web over here every day anyways so I`ll just post a link if I see one like yours.
Fender Japan might help you, at least they spoke to me when I got my Buck Owens tele a few years ago...I wanted to know how many were made but they said that info was not public so I guessed and got them to give me a ballpark figure, so if you send them a mail with pics, they may tell you what you want to know.
good luck.

Thanks,

I wonder if you could tell me where I can buy a wrench key to the saddles, it seems to be hard to get, at least where I have search. The Fender standad key doesn?t fit, it needs to be very small, smaller than usual I think.

Thanks in advance,

Anders

andersozzy said:
I wonder if you could tell me where I can buy a wrench key to the saddles, it seems to be hard to get, at least where I have search. The Fender standad key doesn?t fit, it needs to be very small, smaller than usual I think.

You could try this ebay store ... they've specialized on buying new Fenders and sell them in parts ... :wink:
From there I've got my wrenches too ... but you have to watch out the pics where you can see if the fitting wrench is added ... go for the offer where three / 3 wrenches are to be seen ...

http://stores.ebay.de/The-STRATosphere_Manuals-Tags_W0QQcolZ2QQdirZQ2d1QQfsubZ16QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Hope it'll help ... 8)

Roger

Latest posts

Back