Concerned about Tokai Fake - what is my recourse?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Polarbear said:
Plus Korean Tokai's don't have serials IIRC, is this correct guys?

No that's not correct. Only the early issue MIK"s (mid to late 90's) had no serial number..... after that, they do have serial numbers. That info is in the Dating and ID section of the forum

marcusnieman said:
Polarbear said:
Plus Korean Tokai's don't have serials IIRC, is this correct guys?

No that's not correct. Only the early issue MIK"s (mid to late 90's) had no serial number..... after that, they do have serial numbers. That info is in the Dating and ID section of the forum

Ok, thanks for clearing it up.

space_114 said:
JVsearch said:
So you're just trying to say that the quality of the Fakais is in fact, pretty good and probably better then the actual MIK Tokais?
(I think this has been suggested on this forum in the past, and generally accepted)

And you're stating that they used better quality wood, as one of the main reasons the Fakais are better?

Given what I've picked up about the way things are done behind the scenes, I'd buy that if some hard evidence could be produced.

They really are better than the real Tokai MIK versions ... Many on this site clearly have stated this.They are better mainly due to the wood and the 1/4 sawn necks and the Canadian sunburst ones i have seen appear to have been book matched tops or atleast appear to be better matched than the genuine ones i have seen. I am not a Faki lover nor do i give a rats behind one way or the other if they are good or crap , as I have an Epi Les Paul , a Gibson and two Canadian Tokai's ...just my opinion having played Les Pauls for over 20yrs

Attached below you will find a link to the two i own up front , my other two are an Epi and a 2007 Gibby standard. I will take a few close up pictures and post them here of the two Canadian Tokais i own to illustrate what i have said - The wood (neck) is Canadian hard rock maple and 1/4 sawn !!! and the bodies are mahogony .. honestly just really nice guitars for the $$$.... my Zakk weighs in over 10lbs and my gold top comes in around 8lbs if i recall correctly. Everytime i take one or the other in for a restring job or adjustment whatever music store i take them to in Toronto all say ... yeh these were really nice when they were around for the cash then and still play really well...should have grabbed one at the time ..

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb227/space_114/Blower/P1150262.jpg

Maybe one day you'll add a genuine Tokai to your current collection of illegal fakes. :)

You seem to know a lot about the genuine MIK Tokais...have you ever played one?
How many guys on this site do you think have compared the real MIK to the fake MIK Tokai side by side?...probably not one.

I have... as the authorized MIK's were readily available here for awhile until the stock ran out and the dealer went direct.. My friend still has one ... nothing wrong with it just crappier wood and the necks arent 1/4 sawn and as i have mentioned the tops don't appear to be matched as nicely on the authorized versions. Otherwise still a nice little axe for approx 5 bills as they were being sold for here at the time... I should also state looking closley at either the Canadian MIK or the Authorized MIK's the emblems on the headstock below the Tokai name if they had one was a luck of the draw if you have one that was perfectly straight. I have seen several examples where the difference here was minor to very visible if indicated to the eye ... Luck of the draw here ... My buddies is a little off centre and when i showed this to him to this day it drives him nuts ... otherwise as i said both decent axes for 5 bills ... I also have a real Tokai MIJ early eighty's lawsuit candy apple springy sound strat bought new in 82 for $460.00 (still have the receipt) which was the driving force and interest in Tokai's for me...I was still in school took me a year and a half to pay her off ... well worth it looking back. :lol:

space_114 said:
I have compared them several times ... as the authorized MIK's were readily available here for awhile until the stock ran out and the dealer went direct.. My friend still has one ... nothing wrong with them just crappier wood and the necks arent 1/4 sawn and as i have mentioned the tops don't appear to be matched as nicely when compared to the un-authorized versions. Otherwise still a nice little axe for approx 5 bills as they were being sold for here at the time... I should also state looking closley at either the Canadian MIK or the Authorized MIK's the emblems on the headstock below the Tokai name if they had one was a luck of the draw if you have one that was perfectly straight. I have seen several examples where the difference here was minor to very visible if indicated to the eye ... Luck of the draw here ... My buddies is a little off centre and when i showed this to him to this day it drives him nuts ... otherwise as i said both decent axes for 5 bills ... I also have a real Tokai MIJ early eighty's lawsuit candy apple springy sound strat bought new in 82 for $460.00 (still have the receipt) which was the driving force and interest in Tokai's for me...I was still in school took me a year and a half to pay her off ... well worth it looking back. :lol:

space_114 said:
I nothing wrong with it just crappier wood and the necks arent 1/4 sawn

Who's feeding you these lines about the special wood? And where are they getting their information?

Paladin2019 said:
space_114 said:

Who's feeding you these lines about the special wood? And where are they getting their information?

Why are you so skeptical ? Do you own one ? Have you actually seen one or compared ? The Canadian distributor had them spec'd this way (anyone in Toronto who dealt with him / them know this as being fact) If you know anything about wood you would be able to clearly tell if you ever saw one that the necks have been 1/4 sawn (do you know what this means ?) like a Gibson neck unlike the authorized Tokai MIK's ... and the neck wood is Clearly Canadain Hard Rock Maple and if clear coated the tops can been confirmed as maple also. any reputable music store can confirm this or when simply compared to a authorized MIK ... Canadian Maple unlike other types of Maple has a unique and slightly different grain due to the climate that which it grows. Proof is in the pudding not in anyone's opinion including mine ... nothing left here to argue at nausium on this topic.

space_114 said:
Paladin2019 said:
space_114 said:

The Canadian distributor had them spec'd this way (anyone in Toronto who dealt with him / them know this as being fact)

Fact?...You trust the "word" of the Canadian distributor? :)

Next time you see him ask him why he's no longer the Canadian distributor?

space_114 said:
Why are you so skeptical ?

It's a question of credibility Space, and you don't have any.

For example, you may be right about the Canadian maple (not mahogany...) and that was confirmed in a recent thread, but neither you nor I could confirm that by sight and claiming that you can just makes you look like an idiot who nobody should believe.

Paladin2019 said:
space_114 said:
Why are you so skeptical ?

It's a question of credibility Space, and you don't have any.

For example, you may be right about the Canadian maple (not mahogany...) and that was confirmed in a recent thread, but neither you nor I could confirm that by sight and claiming that you can just makes you look like an idiot who nobody should believe.

OH... now the wood thing was confirmed yet you argued the point at nasium .. Your responses and critque are circular and without any merit ... READ my prior threads as this was confirmed not only as you now admit here, but also as i had mentioned thru very legitimate independant music stores in Toronto who had nothing to gain or loose AS I MENTIONED ... How come you have not argued the 1/4 sawn necks .. THIS CAN BE CLEARLY SEEN .. (still don't know what that means???) .. Give it a rest the bottom line is they ARE better end of story ...

space_114 said:
1/4 sawn necks .. THIS CAN BE CLEARLY SEEN

Other than the fact it might be ...in potential ...slightly stiffer, I cant see the point.

Its not like the fact its got a quarter sawn neck is going to affect the tone that much if at all, certainly on a cheap MIK, its like fitting a spoiler to a trabant.

space_114 said:
Your responses and critque are circular and without any merit ...

:eek: :roll: :eek: :roll: :eek: :roll:

space_114 said:
Give it a rest ...

Please, please, Mr Space. Could you possibly lead the way, and show us how it's done? We'd be very grateful, sir. All you'd need to do is to stop posting.

Amo said:
space_114 said:
1/4 sawn necks .. THIS CAN BE CLEARLY SEEN

Other than the fact it might be ...in potential ...slightly stiffer, I cant see the point.

Its not like the fact its got a quarter sawn neck is going to affect the tone that much if at all, certainly on a cheap MIK, its like fitting a spoiler to a trabant.

A quarter sawn neck on any guitar is a desirable feature (for those that are interested in them) because quarter sawing logs reduces the amount of wood you can get out each one, therefore the more expensive guitars will often have quarter sawn necks.

My opinion - quarter sawn neck on a LP is pretty big plus, but I think you're right in that it will probably not affect the tone at all.

Yeah, I know what you mean, I could see the point if it had a good quality mahogany body, long tenon, great pickups and all the other usual appointments for a good Les Paul, but I cant see much point on an MIK.

A long tenon wont make much, if any difference (IMO) in the tone of a guitar on its own, its more of an indicator of a decent neck joint, which is important on that style of guitar. But combine that with a light weight mahogany body, good pickups etc and you're starting to get somewhere.

If Space is happy with it good luck to him

Oh man I just saw that bit about the Trabant! :lol:

Do a neck stiffness test on any LP - pluck the low E and let it sustain, then bend the high E string up a full step at the 12th fret. If the low E goes flat at all then the neck isn't stiff enough.

However, depending on how you play or what notes at the same time, the neck stiffness (or lack of it) may never have an effect when you're playing. I mean some SGs are pretty flimsy compared to a LP, and they're still alright.

marcusnieman said:
Is that the little, Russian made car?

500px-Trabant.jpg

Paladin2019 said:
marcusnieman said:
Is that the little, Russian made car?

500px-Trabant.jpg

Ah ha ha, good way to avoid the fumes from the engine! :lol:

I guess that's what people had to do to keep their cars running?

Russian? Close enough, it was East German.

Latest posts

Back