2000 LS-75Q....poly or nitro finish?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clay49

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Brand new to the forum...I'm looking at buying a used 2000 LS-75Q and have a few questions about the finish and top. I would appreciate help from those of you who know these instruments well....

Three questions: :roll:

1. Is the finish poly or Nitro?
2. How thick is the maple cap (or is it just a thin veneer)?
3. What's a reasonable price for these (in near-mint condition)?

Thanks!

:D Welcome Clay! Unfortunately I'm a bit of a noob here myself so I can't help you out much, but I'm sure some of the guys will chip in with the info you need.

Oh, and I'm sure that you know this but pics always help (even if it's just so that we can drool over a new guitar) and BTW I found out a bit about my Love Rock just by doing a search of the forum.

Is it a plain, flame or gold top? Do you know whether it's made in Japan or Korea?

Best of luck!

Hi clay49 and cheers to the show!

An LS 75Q 2007 will be quilted, but laminated top.

All I've seen came from Korea, which does not mean they are bad at all.

Some of them are amazing quality, but the back will probably basswood. So if you look for LP sound it will not work. The looks are good, build quality is OK, but not outstanding.

You can actually buy similar quality from china nowadays at $ 150.--.

I suggest that you play them before you buy.

Rupert

Hi guys, sorry Rupert but they are not korean they are MIJ and mahogany back with 2 piece maple top with a quilted maple veneer top. they are equivalent to the ls 90 Q now. And welcome to the forum Clay.. :)

Mick

Yes...I found out from the guy selling it that the top is actually 1/2" maple, with the quilt veneer on top of that...which is fine for me because it still gives the sound a bit more brightness with that half inch maple over the two piece mahogany body.

I'm still wondering if the finish is poly or nitro...I'm seeing conflicting comments throughout the registry here...does anyone know for sure? I prefer nitro...lets the wood affect the sound...it breathes!

Thanks! :wink:

Hi guys, i'm still not to sure about this poly v's nitro thing, i have both and as long as the finish isn't to thick it shouldn't make any difference. No one has actually proved this at all, so as far as i'm concerned its a good talking point but nothing else. Its like the solid top v's veneer top, once again i have both and they both sound excellent... :p
cheers Mick

Hi!

I've heard about LS7x MIJs but never touched one. For some reason Austria is still in the dwilight zone....

Cheers! and could you post some detailled pics please?
Rup

Thin Poliurethane finish,if you like nitro you had to go above.
There were special oders from Yoshi in 2003? but it was lS-90 and up if I recall wel...

clay49 said:
I'm still wondering if the finish is poly or nitro...I'm seeing conflicting comments throughout the registry here...does anyone know for sure? I prefer nitro...lets the wood affect the sound...it breathes!

The finish on my LS125 is quoted as "lacquer" from memory, which doesn't give too much away. But I've owned both poly and nitrocellulose finished Gibson and Fender guitars, and my Tokai is much more reminiscent of a nitro finish than a poly one. Thickness, hardness, feel, the way it dings/scratches is much more similar to my Gibby LP (nitro than my Fender MIM Strat (poly) for instance.

As far as affecting sound, I would imagine that a poly finish would deaden rather than enhance the sound in any way. I would much prefer a lacquer finish, the thinner the better.

However, I'm far from being an expert of the subject and I too would like some kind of definitive answer as to how Tokai guitars are finished.

I have an LS85Q and there is no doubt that it is poly. It has a matte finish, so it is a very thin poly, but poly nonetheless. I've never felt that the poly vs nitro was really that big a deal on solid-body guitars and I have a Les Paul with a nitro finish. We're talking about a big block of wood here, not an acoustic where it really might matter. If it sounds good, that's all that matters. (Mine sounds very good.)

My problem with poly finishes on solid bodies concerns the thickness of the finish, which in my opinion can only have a detrimental effect on tone, kind of like a dampening effect if you like.

A lot of people prefer thin, matte finishes on guitars and various big manufacturers have brought out models which accommodate this requirement.

For instance, Fender brought out a "thinskin" range of guitars with a thinner lacquer finish which they claimed allowed the wood to breathe more, thus increasing resonance/sustain, so there must be a perceived advantage of not having a thick finish at least in some people's minds.

I guess I just don't like the idea of coating the wood of an electric guitar with a thick glass-like finish, however I'm no expert - that's just my gut instinct. YMMV! :wink:

For me, the fairly thick poly finish is one of the worst features of Goldstars, which seem to be great guitars apart from the finish. It seems to box the sound in - a nitro finish, or a very thin poly finish, just sounds more open.

And nitro feels better on the neck too, and it ages better than poly. But remember that there is polyester, polyurathane etc - not all polys are the same.

stratman323 said:
But remember that there is polyester, polyurathane etc - not all polys are the same.

I figured the same was true of lacquers, which was why I wasn't sure whether the "lacquer" finish on my LS was actually nitrocellulose or some other product.

From what other people have said, I get the impression that when the current (or recent) Tokai catalogue says lacquer, they mean nitro cellulose.

8) i think..........

1/ not nitro but poly. traditionally the model numbers below 100 were never
nitro. only maybe exception of the early LS80..............

2/ this model has quilt maple veneer on solid maple top. the thickness of
the both on mahogany body is most likely 1/2 inch like gibson les paul.

3/ mr.mickdal from this forum has one for sell so you might wanna check.
his is 1994 or 1995 i guess......................

joe, 8)

Latest posts

Back