1980 Les Paul Reborn? LS100?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmarccoco

Reaction score
IMG_5154.jpegIMG_5151.pngIMG_5153.jpegIMG_5160.jpegIMG_5170.jpegIMG_5173.jpegIMG_5172.jpegIMG_5171.jpegIMG_5179.jpegIMG_5178.jpegIMG_5174.jpegIMG_5181.pngIMG_5152.pngGood evening,
Just picked up an interesting gold top. Serial number starts with 000xxxx(1980), headstock says “Les Paul Reborn”. It has had a refret and I believe the model stamp was just about sanded off on last fret. I can barely see what looks like “100”. It’s a one piece bottom and is definitely lacquer with 18’ headstock. The guitar was also hollowed out on the back! Yikes. And a headstock repair. It has Goto PAF’s. The good news is it looks like a 58 Les Paul and sounds amazing. And actually light! Did tokai have Les Paul reborn in 80’? And a gold top LS100? I got it for a real good deal.

Last edited:
Les Paul Reborn models went into 1980. Then changed to Reborn Old, then quickly to Love Rock.

Shame that someone hacked up the body to install a tremolo system (?).

Glad you like it.

Last edited:
And in 1980 it looks like there was not a GT LS100, so probably not that as settebello said.

Should be an LS50 or 80.

Screen Shot 2024-05-15 at 8.06.44 AM.png

If you tell me what letter is stamped on the pickups I can tell you the model. Should be a letter stamped in black ink to the side of the goto PAF stamp. S, D, or T.

I think I am seeing an S in your picture, but hard to be sure.

77425bce1278c49b0f9d553e9a652c03.png
d4597debf31d156b5c980f5486637370.png
e32bf288ded5a062471673560172edeb.png

Last edited:
If it is an "S" stamped on the pickups, then it is an LS80 that someone re-fretted and did other stuff to.

If you tell me what letter is stamped on the pickups I can tell you the model. Should be a letter stamped in black ink to the side of the goto PAF stamp. S, D, or T.
I didn't notice this before, but my 1980 Reborn Old Gotoh PAFs have the "D" stamped on on them. What does that mean?

And in 1980 it looks like there was not a GT LS100, so probably not that as settebello said.

Should be an LS50 or 80.

View attachment 60533

I think I am seeing an S in your picture, but hard to be sure.

View attachment 60534
View attachment 60535
View attachment 60536
Yes they are stamped with an S. And it’s for sure a lacquer finish. Tested it. 😁

Les Paul Reborn models went into 1980. Then changed to Reborn Old, then quickly to Love Rock.

Shame that someone hacked up the body to install a tremolo system (?).

Glad you like it.
Yeah I couldn’t believe how much wood the previous owner removed. He did this to make the guitar lighter. And it is a lighter Les Paul. 👍👍

I hate to be the one to rain on your parade. Being light is nice. But Les Pauls get their character from a solid thick body. Getting one that is light naturally, without routing out sections of the body, especially by the bridge and stoptail, is special. Same for Strats and Teles. If making them lighter by removing wood was a good, then everyone would do it. That includes the manufacturers. With all that said, the most import part of owning a guitar is that you like it. Even if it is unique and has qualities that most don't care for. It would be good for hiding stash or smuggling if you are into those kinds of things. Or if it has History of being used as such.... But LS80's are pricey and very collectable. Whoever did that, destroyed that guitars value and collectability.

I hate to be the one to rain on your parade. Being light is nice. But Les Pauls get their character from a solid thick body. Getting one that is light naturally, without routing out sections of the body, especially by the bridge and stoptail, is special. Same for Strats and Teles. If making them lighter by removing wood was a good, then everyone would do it. That includes the manufacturers. With all that said, the most import part of owning a guitar is that you like it. Even if it is unique and has qualities that most don't care for. It would be good for hiding stash or smuggling if you are into those kinds of things. Or if it has History of being used as such.... But LS80's are pricey and very collectable. Whoever did that, destroyed that guitars value and collectability.

I 100% agree. And it’s a bummer that someone did this. I was shocked when I saw all the wood removed. This purchase was just to get a good player guitar. And I know 7okais do not come up for sale often here. Especially a higher end model such as an ls80. I wish there was a smuggling story to it lol. This was probably done years ago. But it does play great! And, it was only $700. 😁

Back