Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how old is this and..model ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
javelin70
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter Mac wrote:

Alder bodies - Alder is a small tree so large pieces are hard to aquire. Most alder guitar bodies are 2 or 3 piece ( even with pre-CBS Fender) there just aren't large enough bits for a 1-piece body. However Alder is also not tonally affected by the number of pieces in the body the way Ash, Mahogany and Maple are so is a far better working wood. It is easy to finish, holds paint well and develops with age. Compared to Basswood (IMO compressed sawdust) i would rather have Alder any day.
Peter Mac

Peter, I'm actually a bit confused when it comes to basswood versus alder. I love the tone you get with an alder body, my Tokai strats all have alder bodies. I also have a japanese Squier strat with a basswood body and it sounds exactly like the alder strats (of course there are slight variations in tone between all of them). I've read that some manufacturers used wood that they called basswood but actually it wasn't, it was some kind of asian wood related to basswood but not as good. Real basswood (tilia americana) is used by a number of manufacturers for it's tone (for example Tom Anderson guitars). I looked at the wood used for the Squier body and it certainly looks like basswood should, almost white and with little grain. I've also had a Fender japan standard strat and the specs said it should have a basswood body but the wood was a lot darker and also a little heavier than the Squier and the Tokai's. The Fender also sounded very good and the tone was close to an alder strat. It was heavier than my other strats though so I decided to sell it. The Squier and Tokai's all weigh ~3kg's, the Fender ~3,5kg.

The Squier is very well built (a lot better than the Fender) and has an s/s/s routed vintage style body (the Fender was h/s/h).

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985) All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: