tokai sg 175 (now 185)

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi

I'm new here and this is my first post (been lurking for months but didn't have an account).

I own an SG 85 from Tokai (it actually says sg75 inside the pickup cavity, but it's made in 2009 so we'll call it an 85). Should be one piece body judging from the name (SG85-1P on the box and SG75-1P stamped on the wood) and from what the seller informed me. Anyway, I'm very happy with the guitar, as many pieces as it's made of. Really high quality instrument.

Now, for the reason I started this topic. I would really like to see some top of the line Tokai SG pictures (it was called SG175, now I think it is 185 and couldn't say what was it's name in the past). Searching with google I didn't really get any results, only dealers with the "default" picture. On ebay there aren't any on sale as far as I could find.

The reason why I ask is because I also own an american Strat and a japanese Ibanez RG prestige which I want to sell in the near future and get another Tokai SG. The only question in my mind is whether I should get a plain 85, or cough up double the money for an 175. The first reason I want the high priced one is for the fingerboard inlays which on mine are plain plastic (mother of pearl wannabe, but you can see from a mile that it's plastic swirl).

I don't know if I need honduras mahogany instead of the african and if the bridge and tailpiece are worth the difference (these I can also buy aftermarket, as I can the tuners). The build quality on my 85 is really top notch, so I don't know if it can get any better (or if I need any better, for that matter).

So, if there are any SG175 owners out here, please post some detailed pictures if you have the time.

Thanks!

http://www.digimart.net/pub_gk_list.do;jsessionid=446DC0172241452F8946D9EEF8B1B750.rm1?subSearchEnter=true&keywordAnd=tokai+sg175&x=0&y=0

Thanks for all the replies and links. Unfortunately I sill don't know if it's worth the price difference. Can you SG175 owners help me make a decision?

Thanks!

I am from Romania. I got the first SG from Gottfried.

I don't have all the money for the 175 at the moment, so I can't get the one on ebay. I have to sell the ibanez and strat first. Thanks for the link anyway.

settebello said:
Where are you located?There is one on E-Bay Germany.
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330414536582&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Volker

Those pics make me want to buy one!! It's a beauty!

Back